Dowloading: allofmp3 encoding errors?
Sep 14, 2005 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jmb

100+ Head-Fier
"my friend" came across the service by accident here on Head-fi and it sounded exactly what "my friend" was lookig for:

Cheap dowloads, good selection, "legal", and high quality compression options.

"my friend" chose to download 3 albums he has been wanting to buy, but has'nt been able to find used here in town, encoded by LAME with the -alt --preset standard setting, as that is what "my friend" listens to on his portable. An album costs, in this format, about $1.20. Great right? "my friend" was stoked. "my friend" prefers to have the actual CD, but this seemed, considering the price, a nice trade-off

Well, when "my friend" actually listened to the tracks, he found that several of them had errors. Mostly in the form of a crackling sound. He knew it was too good to be true. "My friend" has read people experiencing the occasional error with allofmp3, but he would consider the errors he has caught "frequent."

Has anyone else had this same problem, or is it simply something wrong on his end?

Sep 14, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 6
allofmp3 recommends that you download files using "allofmp3 explorer," which you can download from the website. This way is supposed to ensure error-free encoding..

Can't say that "crackling" error has been a major problem when downloading Flac files from website or allofmp3 explorer, though. Then again, I'm sure MP3 files have more chance of being altered..

Sep 15, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb
Do they offer re-dowloads at no charge?

No, but they offer reimbursment. I would recommend not redownloading as the file will still be messed up. In my 671 dls I've had 8 individual misencoded files and 1 whole album, they've always reimbursed me fully and promptly. So, I am still a happy customer.

Sep 15, 2005 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 6
allofmp3.com do not pay any royalties to artists. They exploit a loophole in Russian law that does not extend copyright protection to digital files.

If your friend wants to indulge in privacy, it would be much cheaper downloading on a p2p like eMule. At least that way the money doesn't go to Russian pirates. And you can always send the money you save to the Red Cross or something.

$0.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back