Douk Audio P7 amp
May 4, 2020 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

CADCAM

Headphoneus Supremus
May 6, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 65
https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/263654-opinions-anyone-little-bear-p7-hp-amp/

"the until quality also bad. i only use around 10 times the power switch is faulty already (only unplug to turn off).
The amp is not powerful as they described. on their spec it said: output impedance 32ohm ~600ohm.

nope...i tried on my HD800. listenable volume around 2~3 o'clock on knob. and cant even drive my He1000 at all.

well, that only for testing. you wont expect any beautiful sounding from that"

May 9, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 65
I love the look of this unit, I purchased the "updated" version with the recessed inputs and internal ps. I've also ordered an RCA 6080 tube and a pair of matched Russian 6n3p drivers as I read the stock 6n5p runs hot.
I will be feeding it using RCA outputs from either one of my external DAC's or directly from a CD players 2v outputs.
I used a $100 gift card to purchase it so I've got no money into it and my Loxjie P20 can use the 6n3p driver tubes I bought so if it needs to be returned no great loss but I'm praying this turns out well because I really like the look of it. Fingers crossed!

May 9, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 65
Looks so nice in this pic.
P7.jpg

May 21, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 65
I received the Douk Audio Little Bear P7 yesterday, I ordered it May 4th and the shipping information said it would arrive sometime late June or early July so I was quite surprised and happy to receive it so "early".
It came very well packed in white foam and everything was unscathed. IMO it looks fantastic in the pictures (this was one of the driving reasons for having to purchase it) and it doesn't disappoint in person either! Its got about the same footprint as my Little Dot MKIII. The face-plate is well done with all printing looking sharp and square to the edges which is always nice :slight_smile:. The recessed inputs are also well done. They are mounted on a triangular recessed plate with a high gloss finish contrasting the flat brushed face-plate. Volume knob is mounted square and does not wobble as I had seen in another video review. Tube sockets are good with the exception of the right 6N3 tube socket that is mounted slightly at an angle but not too bad for a relatively inexpensive tube amp.
It has a stepped volume which I wasn't aware of but it is silent and works well, I usually do not like stepped volume controls but this one works very well and I don't find myself longing for a step that isn't available. The unit looks classic with the tubes installed and after connecting it directly to my Oppo multi disc player I hit the rear power switch and prayed. After reading the very limited reviews on the P7 it seemed either people loved it of hated it. I gave it a minute or so to get up to operating temp and plugged in my Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm Premiums and listened a bit, remember no external DAC and just a lower cost RCA cable connecting them. Result? Not too freakin bad! I playing some Acoustic Alchemy Natural Elements. Detailed, check, no hiss or other noises, check, slight smell of new electronics in the room, check. It does use a small fan to cool itself and listening through open back headphones at times I could hear the slightest whirl from the fan.
I did have to turn the volume up to around 11:00-11:30 to get to my preferred listening volume level which is high for me as I usually listen around 9 o'clock on most my amps.
I listened for a half hour or so and with the lights down it's a very calming experience to have music being played through comfortable headphones and looking at the glow of the tubes. Like a mini campfire when you just sit and stare at the flame (or glow in this case) and drift off. Luckily there were no fires to report! Beautiful first session.

I then tried the P7 with my NAD cd player feeding my Maverick Audio D2 DAC with some Audio Art IC-3 interconnect cables with my Superlux HD668b headphones. The Superlux are 56ohm and sure enough my volume was much lower at a click above 9 o'clock. Listened to some Shastro Malimba Moon and I have to say everything sounded fine to me. Was this the last word in resolving high frequencies? No, but the satisfaction of knowing I was listening to a $120. amp and getting this much enjoyment made it special. I didn't try to over analyze the music I just enjoyed the bloom if the bass through the glowing tubes, the mids were like a waft of smoke rolling through the room and the treble had a delicate touch with all the little details that tubes seem to relay within the music.
Next I plugged in my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm Black Edition and hit play on my go to reference, Lee Ritenours tribute to Wes Montgomery Wes Bound. This is just a fantastic disc recorded by the GRP label, it has beautiful bass and exquisite mids as Lee plays like a man possessed by the amazing spirit of Wes himself. It was all there I couldn't believe it! As the unit played it seemed to get even better. Needless to say I am mightily impressed with the little P7. I'm glad as I've seem to have gotten a good one, at least for now. I've ordered a RCA 6080 to try out and a pair of matched 6N3's to explore tube rolling options but dam if it doesn't sound great stock!

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 65
I must be the luckiest person, for some reason things just work out for me. My friend bought a pair of Monitor Audio RS6 speakers... didn't sound so great in his living room we brought them to my house !WOW! sounded excellent and I purchased them from him for a great price. Same friend bought a Placette RVC and same issue, not great with his equipment/system but worked like magic at my house. Bought that at great price too! :slight_smile:

Now this little P7 amp, I actually prefer the stock tube to the RCA 6080 I bought. The stock tube is so... tubey with great textured bass and crazy stereo imaging to boot. The RCA tube is very different and I can't get into it now but for some reason I just like the stock 6N5 tube.
Now in full discloser I'm listening to actual cd's, a Maverick Audio DAC to my Superlux HD672's and I cannot believe it sounds this good. I played Six String II - The Burning Sessions and could not help but listen (in awe) to the whole freakin disc!
Maybe I just like cheaper headphone equipment but this amp sounded way too good. Granted my NAD cd player retailed for $400.+ the Maverick was like $200+ I believe, even my RCA cables cost more than the amp! I'm sure that has to help this amp sound this good. Hope others who don't listen from a phone or a motherboards outputs finds this thing.
:L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 65
p7m.JPG

Made some rings at work for covering the tube sockets...I think I like it better than the white socket showing and didn't like the clear plastic guards.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 65
Bought a Matched Pair of Russian 6N3P tubes NOS from 1968 and they are quite different from the stock tube, detailed with a lot of high frequency information. They are brand new so I'm not sure if they change after playing for some time.
System right now is a NAD C542 to a Keces DA-131.1 DAC to the P7 using Esoteric Audio Graphis cable with Eichmann Bullet Plugs.
I almost feel like I gained some great highs but might have lost a bit of the tubey sound and a little bass. Not completely sure and want to use them for a while before passing final judgement.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 65
I have one of these on order at the moment, should be here in a few weeks. I'm very excited to give it a listen, it will be my introduction to tube gear so. I have high-ish hopes lol. I have several headphones over 200 ohms which I'll be using it with, I won't use it with anything low impedance until I feel the amp out lol. But I'm very excited. I toyed with buying it for almost a month because it just looked so good and I finally gave in last week.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 65
Yes it looks fantastic!
It runs my DT990 600 ohm at around 11:30 volume from my Keces DAC but I like it just as much with my Superlux 672 at 9:30ish

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 65
I really like it. I bought an RCA 6080 but have the stock tube in again as I think I like it better.
Let me answer you more tomorrow gotta get some rest.

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 65
OK so I really like this unit! I'm an older audio enthusiast (53) with a fantastic main listening system as reference for sound. If your interested it's in my bio.
This amp looks IMO simply gorgeous, I love the look of the 6n5 coke bottle tube and the overall look just works for me.
Sound wise stock it sounds really very good. I use a Keces DA-131.1 DAC to feed it and listen to actual cd's so I don't know what it would sound like from a computer or phone but out of the NAD cd player-Keces DAC combo it's very good!
I love the tubey textured sound where you can detect the skin of a drum or a finger on the string of a guitar or bass. Speaking of bass it is much better than I thought it would be and is one of my favorite attributes of this amp.
My Superlux 672's sound so so good through it and they are a lower impedance can. I read this unit wouldn't preform well with lower impedance cans but no issue's with my Superlux 672, 668 or EVO's.
With the 672 my volume is around 9 to 10 o'clock, with my Beyer DT990 600ohm I'm at 11 to 11:30ish and the amp does seem to run a little hotter but sound is exquisite again IMHO.
The fan can be audiable at times during quiet passages but is generally not a big issue and I'm picky.
I love the little thing and hope you do too!
BTW I have it on a piece of granite as it can get a bit hot but I've had no issue's even after several hour sessions.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 65
It is with great sadness I must report this amp has died! I can't believe it, I just purchased 2 Russian 6as7g tubes NOS from 1966 and was listening to one and the amp just died! I was very surprised as I've only owned it one month.
I loved the look, I loved the sound from the stock 6n5 power tube, I also purchased a RCA 6080 that sounded very detailed but I preferred the stock power tube. I bought a matched pair of Russian 6n3 drivers and also preferred the stock tubes. The Svetlana 6as7g power tube was sounding very good and then silence...
The amp seems completely dead. Oh well I tried Douk Audio. Too bad, just really to bad.
The month we shared was very enjoyable.

Jun 24, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #15 of 65
Interesting thread especailly as i was about to pull the trigger on this amp, you seemed so positive, shall i take a chance with this amp and my DT1990s?? So much conflicting views on thos superb looking amp, iam in2 minds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back