Doubts of a beginner in the audiophile world
Apr 9, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #17 of 30
Thank you very much to all who responded, another query that happens with the Sony Walkman DAP? Why do not they have so much movement here? I see more DAP from Chinese brands like Fiio or Shanling, etc

Simple Answer : Because they are not Sponsors on head-fi.

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #18 of 30
Hello, thank you very much for your answers. Another query I see that the audio chips / DAC that are most used are of the brand ESS sabres and AKM. My question is which brand is better and why? I'm asking because I'm looking at the Hidizs AP80 that has the ES9218P and I do not know if I see others with another dac

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #19 of 30
Hey Argentina, Welcome.

First, All the questions you were asking and all the things you were doing right now are a normal part of the process. For most of us, it takes months to really get a system that works for you and you love.

We all start with theories about what DAC works with best amp and HPs, etc. And then we use trial and error to find the best combo to fine tune our choices.

I’ve been doing HiFi for over 10 years. At first, we want a great system for a reasonable amount of money. But then when researching, realize that there are a lot of factors to A) getting good sound, and B) good sound SPECIFICALLY for my ears. As the other member pointed out, everyone’s ears are different.

So we start where you are starting. At times it’s frustrating b/c we get tired of researching, and just want to hear good music. My recommendation is to try and enjoy the journey, learning about all the different pieces of equipment, tax, amps etc. Because if you stick with this hobby, your journey is never ending! And I mean that in a good way. But it is important to be content with what you have at the moment, rather than always wanting something more.

In the US, we have headphone “jams”. Meeting it’s a big get together with a lot of manufacturers of the decks amps and headphones. This allows us to try out many pieces of equipment in a relatively short period of time, just a few hours.

Do you live in a big city in Argentina like Buenos Aires? Would there be something like that there?

From Head-Fi members here in the US, we also have occasional get-togethers and everyone brings their own equipment to let others try out. E.g., Just for an afternoon.

Other than that, don’t be afraid to buy and try equipment from companies that offer a good return policy. If you buy a pair of headphones and have a two week or one month return policy, then buy the headphones, try them out, and send them back for a full refund if you don’t like them.

Generally speaking, having separate audio components will sound better than audio components that are combinations. For example, and again this is generally speaking, or a combination DACand AMP will not sound as good as a separate DAC and AMP if you can afford it. But there’s lots of affordable gear out there.

RECOMMENDATION: start looking at the classified ads on head-go every day for different components. That will give you a good idea of what other people are using and the cost for them.
Often times people are selling in the classifieds because they are replacing their equipment with better equipment, NOT because they are selling a poor piece of equipment.

Then go to the manufacturers website to get a little bit more information about those pieces that interest you. Then, look for a thread on Head-Fi related to that equipment and start reading what other people are saying about that equipment and you can ask them questions too.

The bottom line is that you have to do the research, just like everybody else. Make of it what you will, but again, try to enjoy the journey.

Eg, My favorite DACs are AKM and Burr-Brown. Personally, I do not like the ESS Saber DACs. I feel like they are too sweet and syrupy. But it also depends on the circuitry in the unit and the output device.

Also, different DACs have different functions in terms of the files they will process or not. E.,g 24/192 WAV versus DSD.

If you have a $budget in mind for the gear you want, let us know, that will also help us make recommendations.
Best

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #20 of 30
Hey Argentina, Welcome.

First, All the questions you were asking and all the things you were doing right now are a normal part of the process. For most of us, it takes months to really get a system that works for you and you love.

We all start with theories about what DAC works with best amp and HPs, etc. And then we use trial and error to find the best combo to fine tune our choices.

I’ve been doing HiFi for over 10 years. At first, we want a great system for a reasonable amount of money. But then when researching, realize that there are a lot of factors to A) getting good sound, and B) good sound SPECIFICALLY for my ears. As the other member pointed out, everyone’s ears are different.

So we start where you are starting. At times it’s frustrating b/c we get tired of researching, and just want to hear good music. My recommendation is to try and enjoy the journey, learning about all the different pieces of equipment, tax, amps etc. Because if you stick with this hobby, your journey is never ending! And I mean that in a good way. But it is important to be content with what you have at the moment, rather than always wanting something more.

In the US, we have headphone “jams”. Meeting it’s a big get together with a lot of manufacturers of the decks amps and headphones. This allows us to try out many pieces of equipment in a relatively short period of time, just a few hours.

Do you live in a big city in Argentina like Buenos Aires? Would there be something like that there?

From Head-Fi members here in the US, we also have occasional get-togethers and everyone brings their own equipment to let others try out. E.g., Just for an afternoon.

Other than that, don’t be afraid to buy and try equipment from companies that offer a good return policy. If you buy a pair of headphones and have a two week or one month return policy, then buy the headphones, try them out, and send them back for a full refund if you don’t like them.

Generally speaking, having separate audio components will sound better than audio components that are combinations. For example, and again this is generally speaking, or a combination DACand AMP will not sound as good as a separate DAC and AMP if you can afford it. But there’s lots of affordable gear out there.

RECOMMENDATION: start looking at the classified ads on head-go every day for different components. That will give you a good idea of what other people are using and the cost for them.
Often times people are selling in the classifieds because they are replacing their equipment with better equipment, NOT because they are selling a poor piece of equipment.

Then go to the manufacturers website to get a little bit more information about those pieces that interest you. Then, look for a thread on Head-Fi related to that equipment and start reading what other people are saying about that equipment and you can ask them questions too.

The bottom line is that you have to do the research, just like everybody else. Make of it what you will, but again, try to enjoy the journey.

Eg, My favorite DACs are AKM and Burr-Brown. Personally, I do not like the ESS Saber DACs. I feel like they are too sweet and syrupy. But it also depends on the circuitry in the unit and the output device.

Also, different DACs have different functions in terms of the files they will process or not. E.,g 24/192 WAV versus DSD.

If you have a $budget in mind for the gear you want, let us know, that will also help us make recommendations.
Best
Hello, thank you very much for your answer, if I understand perfectly what it says in search of a good sound and one that is for me. I think my sound is that the voice stands out more than anything else but also the rest, example I am a fan of queen or lady gaga, the voice is fundamental but the rest is the piece of art. My budget is more or less maximum 150 dollars but I prefer it to be less. I have a Fiio F9 PRO headphones. PD: I almost forgot to talk about what he told me about trying and regrettably return that here in Argentina is not that there is not, what I buy is because a friend is going to the United States and brings it to me as a favor.

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #21 of 30
Hello, thank you very much for your answer, if I understand perfectly what it says in search of a good sound and one that is for me. I think my sound is that the voice stands out more than anything else but also the rest, example I am a fan of queen or lady gaga, the voice is fundamental but the rest is the piece of art. My budget is more or less maximum 150 dollars but I prefer it to be less. I have a Fiio F9 PRO headphones. PD: I almost forgot to talk about what he told me about trying and regrettably return that here in Argentina is not that there is not, what I buy is because a friend is going to the United States and brings it to me as a favor.

I can help you a little bit. But tell me:

1. Do you like your current headphones? Or do you want a different pair?

2. Budget =$150. For a DAC? For AMP? For both DAC and amp combination? For HPs/headphones?

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #22 of 30
I can help you a little bit. But tell me:

1. Do you like your current headphones? Or do you want a different pair?

2. Budget =$150. For a DAC? For AMP? For both DAC and amp combination? For HPs/headphones?
Hi, 1 I love my F9 PRO. 2 I'm looking for something portable that goes with the F9 PRO, I'm not listening to a loud volume if not just and necessary so as not to hurt my ears. I think the answer would be if I look for a dap, because I want something portable and a dac / amp I would not like it because I would use many cables and it would be annoying.

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #23 of 30
Bueno. Te entiendo. Pero muy difficile para "audiophilia" para debajo de esto limite. solo poco Espanol mi amigo.
Esta?
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...l?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.27.33234cdaYcow3V

o esta?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...l?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.25.33234cdaYcow3V

Recuerdes, puedes mirar a la "classified ads" cada día para "used" DAPs. Por exemplo, el X5 sobre la cuesta $229 USD.
Pero, puedes comprar un "used" un para, tal vez, $150 USD.

Tambien, para la "newbie " :slight_smile:, el es mejor no separarse de las marcas entre el DAP y los audiphonos.

En el futuro ....

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #25 of 30
Whether or not a DAP alone would work depends on the impedance rating and sensitivity of the headphones you plan to use with it. Headphones optimized for portable use would work fine. Those designed for use with hime stereos might require amping.

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #26 of 30
Whether or not a DAP alone would work depends on the impedance rating and sensitivity of the headphones you plan to use with it. Headphones optimized for portable use would work fine. Those designed for use with hime stereos might require amping.
Hi, I was going to ask that. The F9 pro have a frequency response of 15hz to 40khz, I have to look for a dap that is between that value and / or higher? Because I see that many are from 20hz to 20khz, then I can not get the full potential from the F9 pro, is that correct? And another question a recommended page to buy music player / DAP? Because I'm just looking at Amazon

Jun 4, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #27 of 30
20 to 20 is all you need. Amazon is fine. They have a long return period so you can be sure you’re happy.

Jun 14, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #28 of 30
Hello, I have a question regarding the in-ear pads, I've been using lately those that come in the box of my Fiio F9 PRO, they are specifically those with a harder center (white / transparent and red) and the common ones Silicone black I was noticing that the center that connects the mouthpiece of the headphones softened a bit, so when I take out the headphones from my ear the pads sometimes stay.
This is because they are of poor quality or because of the heat of the handset itself generated by the power of the source (in this case a smartphone) and the contact of my skin? I was also using the memory foam that come in the box but they have broken and from the beginning they are loosened because they are not attached to the mouthpiece, they have some memory foam recommendation that lasts and they are a little bigger than the one that Does it come in a box? I was using the small one and my ear also hurts, I understand that I have to seal as much as I can but it hurts the same.

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #29 of 30
I was using the small one and my ear also hurts, I understand that I have to seal as much as I can but it hurts the same.

This is not necessarily true. The more seal you have, the better the isolation, which is good of course but also, the more bass you will typically hear. That might be "good" if you're a bass-head but not good as far as fidelity is concerned. Of course though, it depends on the IEMs, how much of a seal they are designed for. If they're designed for a very good seal then you'll get the highest fidelity freq response by achieving a similar level of seal.

With regard to DAC chips themselves, they all produce a transparent output. So, despite all the flowery language and absolute certainty of some/many audiophiles, it doesn't really matter as far as fidelity is concerned which one is inside your chosen DAC, they all sound the same (transparent).

G

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #30 of 30
This is not necessarily true. The more seal you have, the better the isolation, which is good of course but also, the more bass you will typically hear. That might be "good" if you're a bass-head but not good as far as fidelity is concerned. Of course though, it depends on the IEMs, how much of a seal they are designed for. If they're designed for a very good seal then you'll get the highest fidelity freq response by achieving a similar level of seal.

With regard to DAC chips themselves, they all produce a transparent output. So, despite all the flowery language and absolute certainty of some/many audiophiles, it doesn't really matter as far as fidelity is concerned which one is inside your chosen DAC, they all sound the same (transparent).

G
I understand, foam with memory have to seal more but tend to increase more the bass. I also do not feel a difference using foam with memory or harder rubber that reinforce the middle frequencies, for me they are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back