Double DAC-ing ?
Nov 12, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #16 of 27
Worse specs doesn't necessery mean "worse" sound right ?

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #18 of 27
From my experience Lyr which is hybrid amp sounded better than Magni (solid state), guess that something like Woo WA2 will be also even better and it's tube amp. Or am I getting it wrong ?
As for good/bad, tube/ss, Lyr/Magni, whole spectrum sounded better to my ears - more resolution overall, better bass etc.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #19 of 27
  From my experience Lyr which is hybrid amp sounded better than Magni (solid state), guess that something like Woo WA2 will be also even better and it's tube amp. Or am I getting it wrong ?
As for good/bad, tube/ss, Lyr/Magni, whole spectrum sounded better to my ears - more resolution overall, better bass etc.

You're comparing two amps with different specs, its hard to say.

Again, 'sounded better' is subjective because its your own preference.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #20 of 27
Nov 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #22 of 27
Frequency response, distortion, etc. It isn't hard to create clean flat, audibly transparent amps. And most headphone amps should be set up to match well with the impedance of home cans. If all that is a given, all amps should sound the same. If they don't, one or the other of them isn't performing to spec because of bad design or something being broken.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on anything that wasn't clean and flat. It's easy to find cheap equipment that is clean and flat.

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #23 of 27
  Worse specs doesn't necessery mean "worse" sound right ?

Only if the worse specs cross over the threshold of human hearing. Specs beyond that are only good for those who make a fetish of numbers.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #24 of 27
The problem is that people still don't use their ears but eyes to listen. Levels are rarely matched properly. Only a few years ago understanding about important things like output impedance seemed to be like nonexistent. Fortunately that improved a bit.

Unless you have those problems fixed you shouldn't be posting subjective impressions of amps, DACs ... unless you're talking about clearly audible differences like too low/high gain, hiss, ...

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #25 of 27

Only if the worse specs cross over the threshold of human hearing. Specs beyond that are only good for those who make a fetish of numbers.

It basicaly means that getting 1000$ DAC is complete waste of money ?

So far I'am kind of believer in amps but couldn't hear much difference between DACs.

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #26 of 27
  The problem is that people still don't use their ears but eyes to listen. Levels are rarely matched properly. Only a few years ago understanding about important things like output impedance seemed to be like nonexistent. Fortunately that improved a bit.

Found nice topic here about impedance of headphones amps etc, so I guess I'll make some tea today and have a read.

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #27 of 27

It basicaly means that getting 1000$ DAC is complete waste of money ?

So far I'am kind of believer in amps but couldn't hear much difference between DACs.

Again, a "waste of money" changes from person to person. For some, $1k for a DAC/Amp isn't much, for others (like me) its the cost of the whole setup.

Not all expensive things are noticeably better in performance. Even for those that are sometimes do it just because it can be done, not because it makes any difference. If 0.001% distortion is inaudible, then does it matter if an amp has 0.000001% THD? On paper yes, in practical use, no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back