Dorm Speaker options
Dec 19, 2004 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ucbEE

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I don't have too much money to spend, so I want a budget system. If I get passive speakers, I will be using a sonic impact T-amp to power them. I would also like something small, ask space is precious. I listen to mostly classical music, most of it being brass heavy. I'm a big Grado fan.

I am deciding between the following:

Infinity primus 150
Paradigm Atom
Swans M200

What do you guys suggest?

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 11
Not to make it more confusing, but I just listened to the Cambridge Soundworks M50 bookself speakers (40% off @ $138 thru 24th) at one of their stores and was pretty impressed. Haven't heard the others. The Infinity certainly looks interesting.

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 11
Athena B1 or B2 should be pretty good. I've briefly listened to Beethovens 4th symphony on the athena B1 with and without subwoofer under less than optimal conditions, I liked it better with the sub

btw I'm planning to get something similar, what do you use to power that Sonic-T amp, I thought it used 8AA batteries. How/can it be setup with a subwoofer?

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 11
I second the Athena AS-B1 and AS-B2 recommendation.
Axiom M2 and M3 will also be very good.
IMHO, the best small-room speaker for full-range sound (bass extension to 30 Hz or lower) is Athena S2/P2 combo. It actully won the Soundstage year-end reward for exceptional value. The total price will be around $1000, but you can buy S2 first and save up for P2.

Dec 19, 2004 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 11
I'd give the Paradigm's a good listen. I've been using various Paradigm speakers (including the Phantom and Atom) for quite a few years, and the Atoms are one of the great bargain buys for an excellent speaker. Another good option is trying to find a used set of NHT SuperOnes.

-Keith

Dec 21, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 11
I went speaker-shopping today. I heard the Infinity Primus 150, some Klipsch, polk audio, and the Athena. I think the worst of the bunch was the Athena. I ended getting Boston Acoustics CR-55. Sounds good and the price/performance ratio is top notch. 90 bucks after tax.

Dec 23, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 11
Not passive but I love my M-Audio BX8's!
biggrin.gif
They are a little big for a dorm room though... The Event TR5's should be very nice. Iron_Dreamer uses the older model in his dorm. They are ever so slightly lacking on the bottom end but very nice none-the-less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back