Dorm room cans
Aug 18, 2006 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LuckyKarma

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I just got my HD555s in the mail yesterday and the sound is incredible, but the sound that leaks out sounds like I have the music playing on speakers instead of my headphones. I'm afraid my roommate won't appreciate this when he's there, so I'm wondering if I should pick up some closed headphones for when he's around? Is the sound leakage in closed headphones less than open cans? I don't know a whole lot about closed headphones as I've never owned them (went from HD497s to HD555s with my recent purchase), so any help would be appreciated!

Aug 18, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 9
What is your budget? For around $60-75 you can pick up the AKG K81DJ. They are pretty good closed cans for the money, but I'd try to hold on to the 555'd too, as they will definitely be a more comfortable option for when your roommate isn't around.

Aug 18, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 9
My budget is probably less than $100, preferably as cheap as I can go without resorting to junk cans. The K81DJ looks pretty nice and the price is pretty reasonable too. How is the sound quality on them?

Aug 18, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 9
The SQ of the 81's is great. I listen to a lot of trance/techno with them and they're excellent. I also listen to some jpop and howie day and they're plenty good for those too. They're a little uncomfortable right out of the box, but some aggressive bending of the headband will get them right. I recommend them

Aug 18, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 9
The HD201's are about as cheap as you can go for closed cans without buying junk. Worth thinking about if money is tight at around $20.

It's also worth having a trawl on Ebay or the FS forum for second-hand alternatives.

Simon

Aug 18, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 9
The K81DJ is fabulous. You may even prefer its sound signature to the HD555. You can get it for pretty cheap now; look in the K81Dj thread for more info.

Aug 18, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 9
I've narrowed it down to either the K81DJ or the Sennheiser HD201.. The HD201 looks nice and has great reviews on Amazon for such an inexpensive closed headphone, I have to say I'm leaning towards the HD201, I'll be using my HD555s when I care about hearing the best quality, and the HD201 looks like it will work as a spare headphone while my roommate is studying. Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back