Dorky Question...But How Do Money Orders Work?
May 17, 2003 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

PatM

Head-Fier
I sold something on eBay and specified PayPal, but the winner can only do a money order. I have never dealt with a money order. Can someone tell me how it works? Is it analogous to a certified check?

May 17, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 16
Money Order=Cash. You can deposit it into your bank account, there's no need for it to "clear" like a check. Money Orders rule for wanting to get a quick turnaround on an auction when paypal isn't an option.

May 17, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 16
Basically, you are just gonna get a money order in the mail. And like the above says, you can just go deposit it without worrying about it bouncing, because the person that writes it to you has to pay cash for it.

May 17, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 16
If is a postal money order there is no even need of deposit it, just go to the nearest post office and they will cash it for you, if it is under your name and you can provide an ID...

May 17, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 16
Sucks how US Postal Money orders are not cashable in canada though. I had to drive down to WA state just to get mine cashed.

Wierd how americans can cash Canada Post Money Orders though...
confused.gif

May 17, 2003 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
Sucks how US Postal Money orders are not cashable in canada though. I had to drive down to WA state just to get mine cashed.

confused.gif

It is a nice drive though. Just think about the scenery if you were in Winnipeg.
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 16
If you're in the U.S., I would insist on a U.S. Postal Service Money Order. Bank money orders can be forged, whereas it's almost impossible to forge a USPS MO. Not to mention a federal crime
wink.gif

May 17, 2003 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
If you're in the U.S., I would insist on a U.S. Postal Service Money Order. Bank money orders can be forged, whereas it's almost impossible to forge a USPS MO. Not to mention a federal crime
wink.gif

Isn't forging bank MO a federal crime too?

May 17, 2003 at 2:51 PM Post #11 of 16
What exactly are the safety features of money orders compared to regular old cash? Personally, I always use money orders, but I just wonder why I do that instead of cash.

May 17, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
wink.gif

Isn't there a (relatively) low limit on the amount you can send via USPS money order? Not convenient if you're buying an R10.
biggrin.gif

Also: it would seem to be relatively trivial to forge a bank money order with, say, a good colour laser printer. What steps are there to detect forgeries, other than waiting for the money order to 'clear' like a cheque?

May 17, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein

confused.gif

This is why you request the buyer to send you an INTERNATIONAL US postal money order. These are pink, instead of the US-only green ones. Always specify when you're selling something that you'll only accept the pink kind.

May 17, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by MadDog5145
What exactly are the safety features of money orders compared to regular old cash? Personally, I always use money orders, but I just wonder why I do that instead of cash.

I think they check your ID when you cash them, to see if you are the person that the money order was written to...but with cash this is obviously not possible.

May 18, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
This is why you request the buyer to send you an INTERNATIONAL US postal money order. These are pink, instead of the US-only green ones. Always specify when you're selling something that you'll only accept the pink kind.

Are you serious? whoa...and to think of how many US buyers i've not sold to because they wanted to pay by postal money orders...
eek.gif

It all leads back to my first sale (on mwrealms.com, a miniature gaming site). I told the guy i lived in canada, and was unsure if it was cashable in canada. He sent it to me and the post office and my bank would not cash it. I ended up mailing him the stuff anyway, and just driving down to Blaine, WA.

BTW: not a very scenic drive to Blaine, WA. Just a half hour wait at the peach arch, and an orange 60's/70's style mustang with black racing stripes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back