doom3 *all audiophiles read*
Aug 4, 2004 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

dassbaba

New Head-Fier
I may be an audiophile newb, but i'm not a newb gamer keke.

All i know is that Doom 3 has the best sound of any game yet. This is the reason to get 5.1 speakers. It's also so scary, that I have literally jumped from my chair 3 times while in the first half-hour of this game.

Warning: your computer has to be close to top notch to run this game well.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...turn_of_doom_3
http://www.telefragged.com/interviews/doom3/
http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy

And I have freakin koss sporta pro's and this game sounds amazing.

GET THIS GAME FOR HOURS OF AUDIOPHILE HEAVEN/HELL (because the sound is scary and so is the game)

bbl time to pee pants again

Aug 4, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootman
Any special settings for headphone use?
What soundcard are you using?
What does ID recommend?

Nope. Doesn't need special settings. Doesn't need a special soundcard, either, because all of the spatial effects are generated in the software using your CPU instead of something crappy like an Audigy. Suck on that, Creative.

I will testify that Doom3 on Omega 2's is an otherworldly experience.

Quote:

Warning: your computer has to be close to top notch to run this game well.

That isn't true at all. My computer isn't "top notch" (Athlon XP 2500+ with 1GB of RAM and a GeForce 3 -- GF3 being the chokepoint obviously) and while I can hardly run Doom3 at maximum settings, it plays fine at lower ones (and still looks GORGEOUS). Of course, my new Radeon 9800 Pro should be here tomorrow so I can boost the settings a bit.
biggrin.gif

- Chris

Aug 4, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 76
Just played a couple hours worth and I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm going to try running it on my Terratec instead of Nforce onboard and see how FPS works out. My comp:

Athlon 2800+
1Gb ram
Radeon 9800pro 128mb
Raptor 37GB 10000rpm sata HD

And yes the sound is INCREDIBLY well done. 3d is way better than creative's emulation.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 76
ugg,

i won't play it until next week i guess. They waited to charge me (ebgames) when my card was maxed!!! So my preorder didn't take.

I can't wait though. I hope i can play it reasonable hehe.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
I might buy D3 this week (maybe tomorrow, dunno)...so if I get it, I'll tell you how it runs on my:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
1GB PC2100 DDR
Soyo Dragon+ (KT266A)
WD BB series HDDs
Plextor CD-RW (game drive, others are 16X dvdrom and dru-530)

What Video Card?

Aug 4, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 76
Sound FX are disappointing.

The gun sounds are pretty hollow sounding.

I am playing with my Grace 901 and R10's right now. It's funny how I can hear how compressed some sounds are, especially voices in the PDA logs.

I'm hoping 5.1 sounds better.

I'm playing on my GF4 Ti4200, and it's pretty choppy at the lowest setting (with all effects on).

I can't wait until my Radeon X800 Pro arrives........

I'll be playing it on my home theater, mwahahahaha.

Comments on the gameplay though:

1. For the love of god, I know ID wants to creat atmosphere in the gameplay, but why Oh why can't there be a flashlight on one of the guns?!?! C'mon, isn't there some duct tape lying around so I can tape it to a gun?!

2. First level so far, very cramped, can't dodge crap. Those damn fireballs are really hard to dodge.

So far I like it, but as usual, I am even more excited by the licensed games that will come out based on this new graphics engine.

-Ed

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
That isn't true at all. My computer isn't "top notch" (Athlon XP 2500+ with 1GB of RAM and a GeForce 3 -- GF3 being the chokepoint obviously) and while I can hardly run Doom3 at maximum settings, it plays fine at lower ones (and still looks GORGEOUS). Of course, my new Radeon 9800 Pro should be here tomorrow so I can boost the settings a bit.
biggrin.gif

- Chris

thats good to know. all i have is a xp2200+, 512mb pc3200, and fx5600xt. its good that your new card have directx9, it'll look even better than now.

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000
How's the music in Doom 3? Is it moody and slow paced, or is it exciting like some Techno soundtrack?

Nine Inch Nails did the soundtrack. Make your own conclusions on that
biggrin.gif
I've seen both trailers, and it's awesome. Very fast paced and in-your-face.

As for sound, I'll prolly be using my Boston Acoustics 2.1s during the day, because my brother will be watching and will likely want to hear what I'm doing. At night, however, lights will be out, HD 280s will be on, and I'll be wetting my pants.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I am playing with my Grace 901 and R10's right now. It's funny how I can hear how compressed some sounds are, especially voices in the PDA logs.

rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
1. For the love of god, I know ID wants to creat atmosphere in the gameplay, but why Oh why can't there be a flashlight on one of the guns?!?! C'mon, isn't there some duct tape lying around so I can tape it to a gun?!

If you don't understand why you can't use a flashlight and a gun at the same time, methinks you're missing the point of the game.

- Chris

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Nine Inch Nails did the soundtrack. Make your own conclusions on that
biggrin.gif

No, the in-house sound designer for id did the soundtrack. Chris Vrenna (used to play live with Reznor) did the theme, though.

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back