Doom Metal
Oct 8, 2009 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

sknight

Head-Fier
Anyone else into doom?

I find myself listening to a lot of the following bands lately:

Esoteric- Atmospheric, epic doom. Hard to describe, but could be great for audiophiles.

Electric Wizard

Saint Vitus

Eagle Twin

Reverend Bizarre

Thorr's Hammer

For some reason, I'm stripping down my tastes from tech death and prog, and going into stuff more simple, where the musicians use less to make more, so to speak.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 57
Doom metal, especially its extreme forms, are great! Though its hard to weed out crappy ones to find those gems. There are surprisingly lot of doom metal bands.

I like:

Ahab

Nortt (yes, I count them as doom metal, blackened or otherwise)

Catacombs

Mournful Congregation

Bethlehem - Dark Metal album

Woods Of Belial

Wormphlegm (Sickest atmosphere I have encountered for a while)

Lamented Souls (oldschool type doom metal)

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 57
i'm very picky about Doom Metal so much so that i've been known to pass on even giving a band a listen

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by sknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Esoteric- Atmospheric, epic doom. Hard to describe, but could be great for audiophiles.

Wow listening to "The Blood of the Eyes" on youtube, this is good stuff. I'm generally not too much into the really slow stuff like funeral doom but this keeps my attention. I do love atmospheric metal though and doom tends to have plenty of atmosphere.

I've only recently started into the doom genre and tend to pick up stuff with more progressive elements still in it (I'm still not out of my Dream Theater phase yet).

I've been mostly listening to Forest Stream - Tears of Mortal Solitude (doom/death, highly recommended album) and Novembers Doom.

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #5 of 57
Here's a few Doom albums for your consideration:

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans
Candlemass - Nightfall
Cathedral - Caravan Beyond Redemption
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Anathema - Alternative 4
Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses
Witchcraft - Firewood (Not strictly Doom per se but still amazing)
Pentagram - Review Your Choices
Orange Goblin - Thieving From the House of God

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cianyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coincidentally, I've made a mixtape which features quite a bit of doom. I'll post it up in a bit

HERE WE ARE
Octover 16th: Cianyx's list of things that would most likely bore you | Cianyx | 8tracks

Cool stuff!

Nice picture in the link. And your avatar too.
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by sknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else into doom?

I find myself listening to a lot of the following bands lately:

Great pick with Esoteric. Gloriously brutal Doom Metal.

My perennial favorite Doom Metal band is Swallow The Sun. All albums (plus the EP) are essential. Also check out Doom: VS. Outstanding band. Both albums are essential as well.

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 57
YOB owns this thread, "The Great Cessation" being the best doom album of 2009 IMHO. Soul-crushing atmosphere without equal!

cbab9cacc0.jpg

Some of my doom favorites are Thergothon, The Gates of Slumber, Evoken, Esoteric, Candlemass and Ataraxie.

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 57
The doom genre is kind of vague for me in terms of what falls into the category and what doesnt... but anyway

Recently been listening to
Reverend Bizarre - Crush the Insects (addictive for some reason. not normally what i would find myself liking)
Septic Flesh - Esoptron (highly recommended if you havent heard of this album. dont care about what these guys have done otherwise, but this album is really good. mid 90's "doom" from greece)
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times

other favs:
Empyrium - A wintersunset...
Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes
Theatre of Tragedy - s/t
Skepticism
Anything by Type O Negative is gold if you wanna call them doom. There are definitely some significant elements of their music that would fit into that classification

stuff like Esoteric and Evoken is a bit too tedious for me personally

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #15 of 57
I started a thread called Greenest Desires that covers much of this same territory, but I would like for it to encompass all sorts of heavy, downtuned, slow tempo music and avoid over "genrefication". As others have mentioned here, it's hard to know where one subgenre begins and another ends.

Take a look there at that other thread and see if you find anything of value. I don't really care which of these threads survive, just so long as we have a great reference for slow heavy music like those who liked black metal got with the extremely extensive "Darkest Desires" music threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back