I have lots of music in this genre (I think this is what you mean):
Kyuss
Monster Magnet
Nebula
Orange Goblin
Atomic Bitchwax
Fu manchu

And close relatives like Tool and QOTSA

Do you have anything in particular you want to discuss? Can you be more specific?

Doom is another style altogether and deals with different dark subject matter.

Dec 24, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 13
Doom is a funny genre, and not to be confused with Doom Metal. It's the genre I currently create in, and I enjoy it very much. It's a very expansive thing, but I'm glad to hear that somebody in here can understand this stuff. Most people think I'm making it up when I mention doom, but hey, that's half the fun of doing underground stuff. Bands like Sleep, 5ive, Boris, Pelican, YOB, The Melvins..... It's a great world that few have found.

I really didn't have anything in specific to discuss, but I was reading some of the posts in here and found a very happy diversity, and was wondering if it stretched that far.

I still consder QOTSA Stoner Rock. I mean they're direct decendants of Kyuss witch may be the father of the modern stage of this genre. That's one band that when I heard they were on MTV and the radio I though "maybe people will follow it out to the far ends of what this type of music can be." I think in some cases it has.

Dec 24, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 13
Oh, I also wanted to touch on the Drone/Dirge part of this with bands like Earth and Sunn((O))). Things that I don't consider as much music, as tonal experimentation and alteration.

Dec 24, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 13
I thought Doom and Doom metal were and are the same thing. Aside from the bands you mentioned I think bands like Warhorse, Burning Witch, Thorrr's Hammer, Electric Wizard, and Sourvein. I think it's a style of music that is influenced by Black Sabbath and that foucus' on the creating Heavy riffs.
Lately I've been on a kick of listening to heavy Doom bands from Japan. Corrupted are a crushing band, maybe one of the heaviest and slowest band around. Also Dot(.) very heavy, with a little stoner rock thrown in, their style is similar to Weedeater.
For drone you can't beat Sunn 0))) or Earth. I saw Sunn 0))) play last January, awesome live.
I tend to listen to the heavy bands that fall in the style referred to as sludge. Heavy, slow, and sometimes with bands like EyeHateGod a little southern groove. Bands I prefer are Grief, Cavity, Fistula, and Fleshpress.
Sleep was a great band too. I just heard an advance copy of OM's new CD. Bassist and drummer from Sleep. Just a bass and drum, and it's killer heavy, repetitive, drone like, similar to Sleep's Jerusalem.

Dec 24, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 13
yes
wink.gif

Quote:

I thought Doom and Doom metal were and are the same thing.

He confused me since he names Doom Metal bands with non doom metal bands.
confused.gif

Quote:

Bands like Sleep, 5ive, Boris, Pelican, YOB, The Melvins

From http://doom-metal.com/

Sleep
Sleep has a strong Sabbath influence similar to traditional doom bands. Their last album 'Jerusalem' has a strong stoner influence and consists of just one extremely long song. That album did not get released for a long time due to label problems, but was finally released in 1999 by another label (after the band had already broken up!). 'Dopesmoker' is the original version of Sleep's album 'Jerusalem'. - Following their breakup, guitarist Matt Pike formed High On Fire.

5ive's Continuum Research Project
Not the boyband, but a two-piece from the USA playing ultra heavy Doom. With plenty of experimentation, 5ive's Continuum Research Project play somewhat psychedelic Doom in the vein of Electric Wizard with a lot of drone parts. Very heavy and preferably very loud, this is some great doped up Doom for the fans of this style. One of the better bands out there. The two first albums went under the bandname 5ive.

Boris
Allthough it's a name associated with the slavic people and language, this Boris is from Japan. They have played a vide array of musical styles through the years. From stoner rock, to ambient/progressive rock, to sludgy drone doom. As far as the staff is aware of the only two releases that are doom is 'Absolutego' and 'Amplifier Worship'. On the doom releases they play extremely slow and heavy drone which could be considered to be a sludgier Sunn O))). Their albums often have no more than one track that lasts over one hour. The longest of these is 'Flood' which lasts over 70 minutes.

Pelican
Melodic Drone-Doom act from the US. The band themselves say they can be filed next to bands as diverse as Godflesh, Earth and Mogwai. Pelican doesn't use any vocals and the music seems totally based on feedback and down-tuned vibrations. The strong drone feeling is however at the same time continuously broken by melodic passages and endless variation through reparative riffing.

Dec 24, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 13
I always felt that Doom Metal was more along the lines of Old Man Gloom, or something like that. A more drawn out and lower pitched version of death metal, and carrying with it that death metal style vocal. Doom to me is a much more expansive thing. More pink floyd influence and the likes. Sons of Otis I think are a good example of pure Doom. More than anything though, I think that often these genres mix and mingle so much and so closely that it's hard to tell them apart, and in the end who really cares what it's called, as long as you like it... right?

I must say, I'm glad to see that there are people here who have found this style of music (and it's cool to see some of my friends bands names listed by some of you)

Dec 24, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomortis
I always felt that Doom Metal was more along the lines of Old Man Gloom, or something like that. A more drawn out and lower pitched version of death metal, and carrying with it that death metal style vocal. Doom to me is a much more expansive thing. More pink floyd influence and the likes. Sons of Otis I think are a good example of pure Doom. More than anything though, I think that often these genres mix and mingle so much and so closely that it's hard to tell them apart, and in the end who really cares what it's called, as long as you like it... right?

I must say, I'm glad to see that there are people here who have found this style of music (and it's cool to see some of my friends bands names listed by some of you)

Doom always refers to Doom Metal, but as you see there are many, many different styles of doom metal, metal is about attitude not just riffs or lack there of. As you say it's all related somehow (which is why many of fans of all these groups) and labels should not be taken too serious.

Dec 24, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Doom always refers to Doom Metal

I don't believe this at all. Being in a Doom band, I don't believe that we are metal, and I know a lot of others in Doom bands who feel the same way I do. I think that's what defines a genre... those who create in it.

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 13
Trying to get into Wo Fat at the moment. Reminds me of Orange Goblin a bit. 

I need to find something with chugging riffs and killer vocals. The closest thing I have found is Electric Wizard - Dopethrone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back