Doodlebug - USB Isolator
Dec 12, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #241 of 305

I think there's a huge potential here that may not have been previously mentioned. This should enable powering the pupDAC using USB on the go, from a mobile device, right, without completely draining the phone immediately, and without the likely crappy power coming off the phone(/wallwart that some OTG adapters can handle)?

Yes, indeed. You just have to observe the minimum input voltage requirements.
It would run quite nicely off 12 volt vehicle power. For DC, anywhere between
9 vdc and 12vdc would work great. Just don't exceed the working voltage of the
input cap which is 16vdc in the BOM.

rolleyes.gif
 Hmm ... maybe I should start stocking some car adapters!?

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #242 of 305
Dec 14, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #243 of 305
I've completed one of my doodlebugs, and started on the 2nd. 
tongue_smile.gif

Found that soldering directly to the ground plane for the SOIC-16 chip wasn't as much fun as it sounds. For the 4 pins that were connected to ground, i found them a lot easier if you pre-heat the ground plane first. Use the ground pad on a nearby 1206 component such as C3 or C8, pump a lot of heat into the ground plane with your soldering iron, then move back to complete the join.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #244 of 305
  I've completed one of my doodlebugs, and started on the 2nd. 
tongue_smile.gif

Found that soldering directly to the ground plane for the SOIC-16 chip wasn't as much fun as it sounds. For the 4 pins that were connected to ground, i found them a lot easier if you pre-heat the ground plane first. Use the ground pad on a nearby 1206 component such as C3 or C8, pump a lot of heat into the ground plane with your soldering iron, then move back to complete the join.

I didn't pre-heat the ground plane on mine, but it sounds like a great idea.  The ground planes on the DoodleBug are significant.

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #245 of 305
Not sure if this question have been asked before but - here it goes..

Would this work with USB converters i.e...  The Berkeley Alpha USB.  http://www.berkeleyaudiodesign.com/alpha-usb/  

If so the USB input on the Alpha is a USB 2 connector.  Would I have to get a special made interconnect  USB cable?

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #246 of 305
The Berkley Alpha USB is a high speed device.
The Doodlebug does not work at high speed.
There are currently no high speed USB isolators.
The Doodlebug works only at USB Full speed.

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #248 of 305

normal_smile .gif

Not yet......

But, in my defence.  It is the Christmas holidays.

I have however managed to catalogue all my recently acquired components onto my stock database AND tidied my workbench.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #251 of 305
You can still do some things...
You can run the signal through a hub chip to try and clean it up...
You can feed that hub chip with a fancy clock for hopefully less jitter...
Use a better power supply...
...but you just can't break the ground. No isolation.

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #252 of 305
  You can still do some things...
You can run the signal through a hub chip to try and clean it up...

Does it really work? Did anybody try to use a modern USB3.0 hub with DIY good linear PSU as an isolator or at least cleaner?

Use a better power supply... 

Some people are crazy enough to build a linear PSU for Mac Mini i7
wink.gif

It wouldn't be that crazy for RaspberryPi though.

...but you just can't break the ground. No isolation.

Well, I think with a declining state of SPDIF and rising of I2S as a new common interface for computer audio (that is 99% of audio these days actually) the problem would be much better served by properly designed USB-I2S interface, where isolation is done.
Like XMOS based solutions (preferrably clocking from DAC that is not the way XMOS datasheet examples do 
frown.gif
but it can be done using the MCLK for the clock source for the BCLK and LRCLK)

Talking about crazy (but available off-the-shelf) solutions - two USB-Ethernet bridges with fiber interfaces and cables for ethernet should do the isolation for USB2.0 High speed
rolleyes.gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #253 of 305
Long time no see for most of you folks!
smile.gif

My soldering iron has been getting rusty, my DIY fingers itchy, so this looks like a great little project to add to a couple of my USB DACS. Just thinking that a really great idea to include with the kits would be a short USB cable to connect between the D/B and the DAC...... short cables like this are often difficult to get locally, and probably wouldn't justify a monoprice order for most people......

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #254 of 305
  Long time no see for most of you folks!
smile.gif

My soldering iron has been getting rusty, my DIY fingers itchy, so this looks like a great little project to add to a couple of my USB DACS. Just thinking that a really great idea to include with the kits would be a short USB cable to connect between the D/B and the DAC...... short cables like this are often difficult to get locally, and probably wouldn't justify a monoprice order for most people......

You nailed it, Beefy.  I've been looking for one, but haven't found any that are reasonably priced.  If someone could point me in a good direction, I'll start including them in the kits.

P.S. Monoprice was the first place I looked.  I can't find anything under 1.5 feet.  When I've found the shorter ones, they're expensive and no volume discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back