doobooloo's TPA6120-based balanced headphone amp
Oct 3, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #183 of 199
after over 2 years of hiatus, i am finally going to build this amp! sorry, people have asked me for boards, if this worked out, etc... and i never had a chance to get back to anyone as i was pretty much off head-fi. but i'm sort of back (trying to re-assemble a headphone arsenal and listening whenever i have time) and i really want to build this thing since i actually never even got around to ordering parts for it in the first place...

anyway, long story short, i'm trying to revive this thing. and i have boards. if anyone wants to join me in this adventure, let me know...
smily_headphones1.gif

ah it's good to be back! not sure how i can get all the pic links up, maybe it'll be easier to start a new thread later on.

i'd really appreciate any help/suggestions through this process!

Oct 7, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #184 of 199
Just ordered enough parts for 4+ boards!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've already found a few points that I can make improvements on the board, so I'm going to test one set and order a revised set of boards before I make my final build.

To be continued...!

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #186 of 199
Man, I always enjoyed checking out your builds. The total symmetry of it, including the alignment of the resistor labels, was outstanding.

BTW, the link on your sig probably got screwed after the head-fi crash.

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #188 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I always enjoyed checking out your builds. The total symmetry of it, including the alignment of the resistor labels, was outstanding.

BTW, the link on your sig probably got screwed after the head-fi crash.

Thanks for your kind words! Those were fun times when I had access to the laser cutter at school. Too bad now I have to pay for everything!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Ugh, after two years I finally threw away the 2 failed builds I had.

How's this - I'll send you two more original boards for you to play with, and if my test proves successful and I order revised boards I'll send you two new boards as well. You in?
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #189 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's this - I'll send you two more original boards for you to play with, and if my test proves successful and I order revised boards I'll send you two new boards as well. You in?
biggrin.gif

You meanie! I'd say I'll skip further experimentation with the original boards since clearly we don't get along but if you want help prototyping revised boards I'd be up for the experiment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #190 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You meanie! I'd say I'll skip further experimentation with the original boards since clearly we don't get along but if you want help prototyping revised boards I'd be up for the experiment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great! Once I test the first batch of boards and work out all the little kinks, I'll send u 2 boards of the new revision. Although, given that the 1st version works and I don't make a huge stupid mistake on the 2nd revision, I don't really plan on making a third revision.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully the next batch will be less of a prototyping and more of a straightforward build.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #191 of 199
Just went through the thread again. Lots of fond memories of staying up all night trying to figure this out!
biggrin.gif

Anyway. For some reason I had thought that there was no successful build yet, but mikemacwillie was able to get his up and running just fine! Which makes me super excited, since I was worried I was going to have to do some layout tweaking, but looks like most of it's going to be little details (like the smaller-than-needed hole size for the DC jack, making it a little more flush with the back panel so I can use 1/1.5mm panels instead of 3mm, switching the order of L and R around for the RCA jacks to comply with widely accepted standards, etc.)...

Woohoo! Parts arrive Tuesday, which means I am going to work on the build the following Saturday. Can't wait...!

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #192 of 199
Kinda interested in this doobooloo, I referenced your thread extensively when I tried to design a TPA6120A-based amp myself. I semi-failed; I felt the DC offset was unacceptable and couldn't really find a simple solution, but the amp does work and sounds pretty good.

I think I've got a fair few TPA6120's left though, so if you're going ahead with this project it might be worth it to build one or two of them. Especially if they actually work right
biggrin.gif

Any chance you could repost the schematic (or am I missing it somewhere in the 20 pages?)?

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #193 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinda interested in this doobooloo, I referenced your thread extensively when I tried to design a TPA6120A-based amp myself. I semi-failed; I felt the DC offset was unacceptable and couldn't really find a simple solution, but the amp does work and sounds pretty good.

I think I've got a fair few TPA6120's left though, so if you're going ahead with this project it might be worth it to build one or two of them. Especially if they actually work right
biggrin.gif

Any chance you could repost the schematic (or am I missing it somewhere in the 20 pages?)?

I never had a proper schematic... just pieces of ideas here and there and the schematic was basically laid directly onto the pcb. I still have the images of the top, bottom, and combined layers on my computer so I'll try to post them again soon but you'll need to reverse engineer those to arrive at a schematic.

If anything, since it's been over two years since I worked on this thing, I probably have to do the same as well to produce a schematic.
tongue.gif

But it is very simple on the amp part of things - pretty much follows exactly the schematic and recommendations in the TPA datasheet.

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #194 of 199
I have been thinking of a TPA6120 amp for a week or so now since the new Claro sound card thread started which has this chip on the card to driectly drive headphones. I then found per's boards based on the chip, but they are all too big for my plan. This thing might just suit me perectly.

If anybody builds more than they need, or has a prototype left over, I would like to make an offer on it if the price is reasonable and they turn out good - which of course they will
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #195 of 199
i still have boards!
biggrin.gif
pm me if you need one (or a few)! check somewhere in this thread for the full details of how much the boards cost (i forget), i'll still throw in the free oscon capacitors too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back