don't understand reason for a dac on media player
Oct 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

goodtimeswoody

New Head-Fier
If there is a link that will help me I am more than willing to look at it, but I don't really want to read anything more than 5-10 pages.

I do not understand why you would put a dac onto say an ipod which already has a dac in it. Unless you can turn off the dac function on on the ipod. This may sound stupid, but it sounds stupid to me to run a better dac after a worse one. I am not sure if the benefit could be that much unless the portable dac also improves an incoming analog signal. I am sure that I am just confused on how the hardware interacts. I do photography as a hobby which means I do not mind spending money on quality equipment, but not needless equipment.

I think this is probably a very simple thing that could be explained quickly. I thank you for taking the time to help a neophyte out.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 4
I think the DAP will output a digital signal to the external DAC, which means the external DAC will be doing all the conversion work, and the DAPs DAC will be bypassed. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 4
Just to clarify, you couldn't chain one DAC to another in that way in any case. It's a digital to analogue converter; your chain would be trying to pass an analogue signal t the second DAC. The first DAC must by-passed and the second fed a digital signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back