Don't like IEM's/ should I get cheap closed portable?
Sep 23, 2007 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

robert1325

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've always disliked IEM's ( Mylarthrees, JVC fx55, OVC, JBL ref) , I'm using some JBL's but am considering some cheap closed phones . I'd like something that sounds as good or better as the px100's...

I can get the philips Hp460 for a very low price (30 dlrs incl. shipping), is it still good compared to other closed cans of around 50 - 60 dollars? or should I go for an SJ5, K81, Rp15 mc?

I know this has been discussed a lot before but there's so much info ( I've been reading for 1,5 hours now) They'll be used in the train,metro and at work ( radio playing in background)

Thanks

Robert

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi, Robert -- I remember the Rio Carbon flash conversion you did, so I know that you are a very experienced Head-Fi type person ... and so we shouldn't respond to you as though you're a first-time upgrader! I also remember that you like the PX100s, which of course won't provide any isolation ... which is too bad, as they're fun to listen to and go very well with the Rio players.

Are you willing to put up with the head clamping of many closed portables? I've never heard the AKGs, but they look great and are supposed to sound good for the price ... if you have a large head, it might be an issue for you, trying to listen for long periods of time. This applies to many headphones -- I'm not trying to single the AKGs out for criticism ... clamping is part of the deal with many on-ear headphones.

What about the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II? Too far out of your price range? It is very highly recommended, otherwise.

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB (out on short-term loan)
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB

Sep 23, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Hello again
smily_headphones1.gif

The akg's seem quite nice , wonder if the philips hp460 cans are really as good. ( I read this somewhere)...

I'm willing to stretch my budget a little if it's really worth it. How are the high's on the hd25's? I want something smooth , maybe even rounded off.

Robert

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 5
SJ5s can only provide as much isolation as ear muffs do, which is not suitable for riding subway trains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back