Don't Laugh: seeking Audiophile's Perspective on two gamer headsets
Feb 25, 2015 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tavilyn

100+ Head-Fier
As the title says. The Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 and Logitech G35 headsets are two that I have some experience with. I'm honestly curious how an audiophile would describe the sound experience on either or both of these cans. Yes, I know, they're not audiophile headphones, aren't optimized for audio use, but I've seen dozens of reviews for audiophile products that talk about qualities of sound, and I'd like some reference. It's all well and good for me to say, for instance, that the G35 has bass that can slam a bit, but is it flabby? is it slow? is it too distrrted and too modded? Stuff like that. So if any of you have had, or can get easy access to, one or both of these cans, and can honestly describe the sound they put out (particularly while unamped, straight out of a laptop or desktop or iDevice or some such), I'd be very grateful. Still eagerly awaiting my 598s, by the way...they should be here on Frieay; I'm also not expecting any reviews, however favourable or unfavourable, to change my mind, and that's not why I'm asking. I like comparisons though, what can I say?

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 4
The Kingston Hyper-X Cloud is a rebranded headset version of the Takstar Pro 80, which has been reviewed and written about extensively on head-fi. They can also be found with many other brand names.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-cyberx-qpad-thread

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 4
See, I had no idea they were a rebrand. Hell, I didn't even know that was legal, really. Sorry for my ignorance. Looks like they're actually pretty good for their price point...the Takstar/Cloud, I mean, not the G35s. Heh, most people say the g35s suck. I guess I'm in for a treat.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 4
Yup, it's perfectly legal, as long as Kingston is paying Takstar to do it for them. Takstar is a very large OEM - they make a lot of headphones for other folks, just as Fostex has done in the past. The Logitech G35 has that 7.1 virtual surround stuff that puts them in a completely different category from the typical head-fi product. You might find information about them in the Computer Audio forum, but that's not really a focus area for head-fi audiophiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back