Don't know what headphones to get for gaming
Dec 8, 2013 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bennie1234

New Head-Fier
Hey, 

I need some help choosing a new headphone, that I will be mainly using for gaming (90% gaming and 10% music). I currently own a Roccat Kave, but the cable is broken. I already looked at Mad Lust Envy's gaming guide. The Audio Technica ATH-A700x seem like they would be great for gaming, but they are just to expensive in Holland. They sell for around 400 USD. I also looked at the AKG Q701, but they also retail for 350 USD. My budget for a new set of headphones is ±230 USD (€150-170). I am currently looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and the AKG K612 pro. I have also been looking at the Custom one pros and the Shure 840, because they have a removable cable, most of the time the cable is the problem for me, I always end up breaking them 
frown.gif
.  However, I have no clue if they are any good for gaming. So, is it possible that you guys can help me with choosing a new headphone? What headphones would you guys recommend for around the 230 USD? I prefer a closed headphone, but semi-open headphones are also fine. A removable cable would be nice, but not deal breaking 
k701smile.gif

Help is appreciated and sorry for the somewhat bad english. 

Cheers, 
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 7
It would help to know exactly what sources your going to be plugging the headphones into?

AKG K612 Pro headphones and a very basic headphone amplifier.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Sorry forgot about that. I have a Xonar DX soundcard in my pc with no amp or anything. Will I need one? Because I heard the AKG's aren't the easiest ones to drive. Also, would you recommend any closed headphones that are good for gaming?

Cheers, 

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 7
  Sorry forgot about that. I have a Xonar DX soundcard in my pc with no amp or anything. Will I need one? Because I heard the AKG's aren't the easiest ones to drive. Also, would you recommend any closed headphones that are good for gaming?

AKG K550s, but you would need a low impedance headphone amplifier, for the K550s to work with the Xonar DX.

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 7
  Ok, thanks. I will look into them. Also, do you know if the Shure SRH 940 are any good? They are on sale and I can get them for 230 bucks.

Cheers,

I would "assume" they are good headphones, the SRH840 get good feedback, so I'm assuming the SRH940s are better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back