Don't know if this is the place to post...
May 18, 2009 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ghigguls

100+ Head-Fier
but I was wondering how hard it is to replace opamps in the Practical Devices XM4. I heard that these need to be replaced yourself and, if I couldn't replace these it seems like I would be missing alot. Thanks
atsmile.gif

May 18, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm not particularly familiar with the XM4 but opamp sockets are commonly found in most amps. You would simply have to remove the casing so you can see the circuit etc, use your index finger and thumb to gently squeeze the sides of the opamp and pull it out - simple as that
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, instead of using your index finger and thumb, I've read that some people prefer to use a small pair of needle nose pliers. I find using your hands fine though. Hope this helps.

May 18, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 5
If it is a socket, I believe you also have to be aware of the orientation of the new opamp when you install it.

Not sure if all sockets are the same, but if you put in the opamp in the wrong orientation, you could crap something out.

Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.

May 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Seems like every time I try to remove an IC from a socket using only my fingers I wind up with several precisely 0.1" on center holes in my finger (usually at least 3). They bleed like hell. Usa a proper extraction tool or in a pinch use a small slotted (most call this a flathead screwdriver, although flat describes the shape of the screw head and not the mechanical method for interfacing with the screwdriver such as slotted, phillips, clutch, hex, torx....). Alternate ends with the slotted screwdriver prying it up about 1 millimeter at a time. Pins stay straight and fingers don't get stabbed.

May 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like every time I try to remove an IC from a socket using only my fingers I wind up with several precisely 0.1" on center holes in my finger (usually at least 3). They bleed like hell.

My thumb is still healing from doing this several days ago. Ironically, it was pulling apart several sockets I had stacked for storage. My advice is to stick them in a little piece of foam and use something flat to pry apart. Or just use your finger, it doesn't hurt that much
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back