Don't hate me but... do cables matter?
Aug 7, 2015 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

yonyz

Head-Fier
Hi,

I need this type of cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/gib-3-5mm-Y-Adapter-Audio-Cable-Stereo-Female-Mini-Jack-to-2-RCA-Male-Adapter-/191605355659?hash=item2c9c91b48b

My current one is showing lots of rust and is just too long. Can I just get this cheapo cable and be done with it, or should I get a brand-name cable? It's for "computer speakers' that cost $150, nothing too fancy (Microlab Solo 6C and Creative T20). Audio card is ESI Juli@.

I will greatly appreciate your opinion on this.

Thanks.

Aug 7, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 14
What about this one? It looks better built to me, and includes fancy words such as "pure copper", "shielded" and others. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-stereo-female-to-2rca-gold-male-cable-/271943914802?hash=item3f511ed532

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 14
redface.gif

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks, I've ordered that cheapo cable for $1. :) I don't need durability since the cable just sits on the floor with no one ever touching it, but time ruined my older one so I need a replacement.
Thanks again.

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 14
If a cable affects the sound f a system, it's because the designer deliberately designed it to sound different.  The resultant sound will be as a result of a defectively designed cable.  

All a designer needs to do then is put some fancy sealed in epoxy boxes in the middle of the cables, find some gobbledegook marketing screed to go with them, bribe an "audiophile magazine" writer to write a rave review, and charge $10k a meter for them.   Next thing you know that designer will be shopping for a Lamborghinni, anf a place in the Hamptons.

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 14
Yes, to a certain extent.

I can put my portable handset up to some super thin 'n cheap RCA cables and the radio waves it emits distorts the sound. But if your cables are actually shielded, then it shouldn't matter unless everything else in your setup is top-notch.

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #11 of 14

I agree that it is a bit overkilled to use CAT5 for audio signals.  But its single core solid cooper design is very ideal and clean sounding.  Many expensive cables such as Kimber, Audioquest etc sounds like CAT5... or is it the other way around? : ) 

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #14 of 14
single strand solid core, multi-strand, flat, cooper, silver, gold, they do each sound different.  Fortunately, to test/taste the differences, you don't need to buy those overpriced brand names.  You can test them all with DIY projects widely available on the net. : ) These projects, such as the CAT5 one cost pennies and the results are very worthwhile. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back