Don't get me started.
Jun 25, 2006 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

pawlowski6132

Banned
Why is it so natural for people to be able to compare digital camera's, photo printers, TVs etc. and draw objective conclusions about which picture or image is "better." I assume it's because they're frame of reference is all around them. It's clear that, by looking at a picture of someting whether it be on paper or on the screen, the average person can determine if it's life like, realistic, or, by definition high fidelity (i.e., High Fidelity, e.g., HiFi, e.g., Headfi.)

So, why is there so much bull **** on this site when someone makes a call about how good a headphone or component is. So many stupid members chime in with the obligatory, "...that's just your opinion...", "...that's just personal preference..."

That's crap. There's no difference between an audio component or a video component regarding fidelity...either they reproduce accurately or, they don't;no two ways about it.

Clearly, some headphones are going to be better than others. Period. Deal with it. If you can't afford the better pair (which ever they are) don't try to defend yourself or feel embarassed. Just admit it and, should your ambitions be to move up, do it. We've all been there. But, don't try to vindicate yourself by saying, "...well, I just like these better." Hey, you might. That's cool. But don't say that, for example, the AKG K1000 isn't better than a pair of Ipod earbuds - Yes, they are. I don't care if you like the earbuds better. You just may like a matted blue hued image while watching TV. Great. Buy one. But don't say it's better than a TV that presents a image more accurately.

Jun 25, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 65
you are so kind and understanding..i want to marry you

Jun 25, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 65
hahahah...perhaps in another lifetime then...

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 65
Hm, this is interesting. I have hd-600's, and I tell myself that they are cheaper then the 650's and are said to have a different sound, for the better or wose depending on what you listen to and what you like. But are you applying your first post to cheaper earphones, i.e. nothing like k701's, 880's, 580's, 600's, 650's, hf-1's, 225's, etc? Or are you talking about people who buy budget headphones that are like sr-60's, yet say they like the sr-60's better then hf-1's, even though the hf-1's are better phones? Sorry, I have no experience with grados, but I came up with that rather quickly.

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 65
Hey my Ipod buds will take on any can you want to put them against.....HA just kidding.

I remember when I bought my Ipod I told them to throw the buds away, are you kidding me, have you herd these....Ummm no and don't think I want to, so they sit in the bottom of a box somewhere in my room.

I get what your saying to a degree, but just because something is more exspensive doesn't automatically mean it is indeed a better product imo, at least, but on the same note I'm not going to run out and buy an $8,000 Kia and run up next to a Mercedes and say HAHA I saved 40 grand my car is better
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Hm, this is interesting. I have hd-600's, and I tell myself that they are cheaper then the 650's and are said to have a different sound, for the better or wose depending on what you listen to and what you like. But are you applying your first post to cheaper earphones, i.e. nothing like k701's, 880's, 580's, 600's, 650's, hf-1's, 225's, etc? Or are you talking about people who buy budget headphones that are like sr-60's, yet say they like the sr-60's better then hf-1's, even though the hf-1's are better phones? Sorry, I have no experience with grados, but I came up with that rather quickly.

I'm saying we should not be using subjective descriptions such as "different." Only "better" or "worse" regardless of the comparisons.

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
Hey my Ipod buds will take on any can you want to put them against.....HA just kidding.

I remember when I bought my Ipod I told them to throw the buds away, are you kidding me, have you herd these....Ummm no and don't think I want to, so they sit in the bottom of a box somewhere in my room.

I get what your saying to a degree, but just because something is more exspensive doesn't automatically mean it is indeed a better product imo, at least, but on the same note I'm not going to run out and buy an $8,000 Kia and run up next to a Mercedes and say HAHA I saved 40 grand my car is better
tongue.gif

It probably is, especially in fuel efficency LOL. J/K.

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 65
How do you know what you are listening to is exactly what the other person is listening? Do you have his ears? are you in his head by any chance? It is not just opinions, it is his perception also.

Yes, headphones can produce wider frequencies and yes some are better than others. But what good does it do to the end user if he can't tell the difference? Or the fact due to his life experience, he prefer the cheaper (to you the worst pair)?

So what?

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
That's crap. There's no difference between an audio component or a video component regarding fidelity...either they reproduce accurately or, they don't;no two ways about it.

There is no such thing as totally accurate. They all have glaring flaws. Now if you add to the equation, depends on the situation, and prioritizing which characteristics of reality you rank higher, then it all comes down to a matter of preference. With any of these reproductions, it's system based, so synergy comes into play. Everybody's sensory experience is also different so there are different takes on reality.

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

I'm saying we should not be using subjective descriptions such as "different." Only "better" or "worse" regardless of the comparisons.

So what happens when you pit some HE90's against the O2's? Does better or worse still apply?

At that point, I think that's where "different" comes into play.

Look, there is a ton of gray area in this crazy hobby we're into, I don't think "better" or "worse" will cut it most of the time, especially considering how many possibilities there are, when considering CDP's, amp, cables, etc...

edit: Was this post spurred because some teenager said his iBud's were better than your K1000's? If so, let it go man, he probably doesn't even have hair on his...chest.

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
How do you know what you are listening to is exactly what the other person is listening?

This doesn't make sense. It's not subject to interpretation. It is what it is. It can be measured empirically.

Let me make a more simple analogy: You have some matter of which, one of its properties is mass and it weighs 1 pound. If you have two scales and one reads 1 pound and one doesn't, which is the better scale? You can't say that the other person interprets weight differently can you?????

Music (sound) is physics (its interpretations and impact are psychological and beyond the scope of my original intention of this thread) and its reproduction can be measured against the original to determine accuracy. Simply put, how well does a component reproduce the original signal. Period.

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #14 of 65
Quote:

This doesn't make sense. It's not subject to interpretation. It is what it is. It can be measured empirically.

Let me make a more simple analogy: You have some matter of which, one of its properties is mass and it weighs 1 pound. If you have two scales and one reads 1 pound and one doesn't, which is the better scale? You can't say that the other person interprets weight differently can you?????

Music (sound) is physics (its interpretations and impact are psychological and beyond the scope of my original intention of this thread) and its reproduction can be measured against the original to determine accuracy. Simply put, how well does a component reproduce the original signal. Period.

Oh my god............hits head on the wall.

If we define good sound by the frequencies it can produce then we can all go home, who needs to test headphones, who need to audition speakers, amps and CD players. Why not look at the chart they are given and get the ones with the best scientific results?

Jeez..........................

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #15 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
edit: Was this post spurred because some teenager said his iBud's were better than your K1000's? If so, let it go man, he probably doesn't even have hair on his...chest.

Ha! That's hilarious!!
k1000smile.gif

No, that didn't happen. I just had some spare time, haven't been around for awhile and wanted to get this off my chest. But i do believe it.

However, I will concede that personal preference does play an important role in selecting gear. It is a very personal experience. I mean, hey, I like tubes. They're probably not that accurate but, I like 'em!! But, I'm not kidding myself about the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back