Don't get Caught
Jan 5, 2005 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

KobaltBlau

Head-Fier
Hello, I am new here, but I have enjoyed reading many opinions on headphones.

I'm in front of a computer all day and my ~8ft headphone cord on my old cheap JVC supraaural closed cans gets caught on the rolling chair arms and legs all the time. after many many yankings, I seem to have damaged one of the wires bad enough to have one-ear sound a lot of the time. The cord is just long enough that even if I try to get it out of the way, it gets pulled a bit by my moving around and gets caught on this and that.

Since one of my monitors is a laptop, my headphone jack is only about 4 feet or so from my head. I am not using an amp at work. I'm trying to think of solutions to this as I'm purchasing new headphones, and here is what I've come up with:

1. Wireless headphones. This is a bit overkill for my desk situation, since I don't really move about. I also don't want to mess around with batteries particularly.

2. Coiled Cord. I haven't tried one at work before.

3. plug(s) at headphone end. This doesn't really solve the tangle/catch problem but at least the plug(s) will yank out instead of your phones getting pulled hard and flying onto the floor.

4. This Thing (Sumajin Smartwrap):
smartwrap-green.jpg

Any opinions on the relative merit of these approaches? Maybe a headphone with a coiled cord is all I need, I just don't know.

Thanks so much!

Andy

Jan 5, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 15
id say go with that coil thing you found. i have a simmialr situation with the close headphone jack and the chair. i own both wireless and coiled cord headphones. the wireless ones are pricy and lack in sound quality so i use them mainly for my tv at night. the coiled cord is on an ancient pair of pioneer monitor 10 headfones (1970's) that i got from my mom (she bought em when she was in collage). the coiled cord helps but still gets caught all the time. hope this helps

Jan 5, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 15
sumajin cablewraps RULE. I have a white one for my ipod remote, and a black one for my KSC-35 (VERY handy for this in particular.) it keeps it untangled when in my bag with the P-to-S adapter and the ipod remote, and it's a ingenious bit of plastic. go for it!

edit - make sure your headphone cable isn't too thick tho. i'd say the ipod remote wire is as thick as you'll want to go. a grado cable DEFINITELY wont fit in there!

Jan 5, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KobaltBlau
Anybody use a Sumajin Smartwrap thing at their desk?

me?

at work when its not so crazy i'll pull my portable rig out and plop it on the desk to do some listening. the ksc-35 definitely doesnt get in the way. but remember - cord diameter.

Jan 5, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 15
Any idea if that will work with the stock HD580 cable? I am constantly having problems with it when at my computer, as it is 10' long and I only need 3'-4'. I am still contemplating buying a replacement and making it shorter, but this would be much easier, and still allow me to use the cans wne laying in bed.

Jan 5, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 15
OK Thanks, Jahn, wasn't sure.

The cord diameter thing may make the smartwrap un-useful for me. Here are my current candidates for this purchase, in no particular order:

Beyer DT250-80 (coiled cord, smartwrap=no, plug at headphone)
Sony MDR-V6/7506 (coiled cord, smartwrap=no)
Senn HD280 Pro (coiled cord, smartwrap=no)
Beyer DT231 (non-coiled, smartwrap=maybe)
Senn HD212 Pro (non-coiled, smartwrap=maybe, plug at headphone)

I assume the HD212 and DT231 have thicker cords than an ipod set, for example, but who knows.

I listen to dance/pop/techno stuff mostly at work, and I'm not so concerned about accurate rendering as I am entertainment. As you can see I'm looking at closed circumaural stuff, I know the 231 isn't as closed as the others but I haven't decided whether this is a good or bad thing yet. probably bad.

Thanks All,

Andy

Jan 5, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 15
I use a twisty tie on mine, a stock Senn cable. It doesn't look as cool, but serves the same function.

I think a coiled cord would put tension on your head unless there was sufficient slack.

Jan 6, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 15
the sony ex71's come with a lil earbud cover that can double as a cord wrapping device, when the earbuds are being used.

it's a great way to keep this neat and to make sure you don't lose the cover!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 15
Coiled cords always feel as if there is a load on your head. I have one for the plane and it sucks. I use a clip (like the one that comes with the ER4P's) and clip it high on my torso, so it doesn't get caught on things. Same thing with the handsfree Jaba in the car.

Jan 6, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 15
Nice, thanks for all the input so far, folks. un(?)fortunately the models I'm leaning toward have coiled cords; hopefully the length will be OK so it's not tugging.

Jan 6, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #13 of 15
Couldn't you just use a twist-tie thingie and wad up the excess at the jack?

edit...
I *dont* like coiled cords. My V6 and pro4X-plus both had em' and they were terribly anoying. Theyre heavier per given length and always felt like something was tugging on my cans. Man, Ive had those koss cans since 86'... thats almost 2 decades doing a tug-o-war with my headphones.
eek.gif
eek.gif

IMHO one of the biggest improvements in my DT770 is the great comfort of their straight cord.

I never really thought about that till this post... thanks for enlightening me!!!
Garrett
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 15
UPDATE

I decided to purchase Beyerdynamic DT250-250s for work. Now I'm wondering whether they are too nice sounding for work, but that's another story.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm currently running them unamped out of my laptop dock's headphone jack (no problems), and trying to resist the notion that I need an amp for work. Slippery slope....aaagh! Back on topic...

These have about a 5 foot coiled cord but in my specific situation that has been fine. I only need about 4 feet and the coiled part of the cord sits flat on my desk on its way to the jack. In my specific case, the weight of the cord helps it stay in place. No problems catching on stuff so far, but I have been paying extra attention to my new cans!

I have worn these some while walking around, and when standing upright the weight of the coiled cord is noticeable, but that isn't what I bought these for!

Thanks All,

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back