Don't base a Purchase decision on a review - Test Drive it yourself, First!!
Mar 26, 2004 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

AGR

100+ Head-Fier
You can read reviews all day long, or for weeks. You sure wouldn't buy a car before test driving it, would you?

So; if you see an MP3 Player that you are attracted to, and you have done some shopping around, read some reviews; go ahead and buy it, and give it a try. Every Retailer will take it back if you are unhappy. Be Smart!
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 26
EVERY retailer? That's got to be about the most inaccurate generalisation I've seen in some time!
Apart from what they will do "in reality", different companies have different stated return policies.
I'd be very surprised if Amazon, for example, would take back my iHP now I've had it for a couple of weeks.

If you really want to "Be Smart", you'd do well to check out the returns policy and reputation of each retailer.

Also, I don't think its fair to discredit the value of reviews so much. If you didn't do at least some research before you handed over your cash, you could quite likely end up wasting your time (and potentially your money, depending on the returns policy) on a worthless piece of crap. When you're talking about something which costs hundreds of $/£, research is very neccessary IMO. Personally, I spent about six months "researching" mp3 players before I bought and I still ended up with something I wasn't entirely happy with, but by the time I realised this it was too late to get a refund and had to sell it in order to buy my replacement. Other people's experience is very valuable.

Sorry if I sound like I'm having a go, but I think you're a bit blase!
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 26
Relax. Of course; you need to check return policies. Also; When you open your new MP3 player; open it carefully. So; if you wish to exchange or get a refund, it's presentable.

I am knocking 'no' reviews. Simply stating a fact. You really need to judge for yourself. What works for some, doesn't always work for others.

Now; let's all have a nice day. It's Friday!
280smile.gif

By the way; I spent weeks (and I usually do), researching my MP3 purchase.

Mar 26, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 26
I don't base my purchasing decisions on one review, I usually scour the web for pretty much every single comment made about the product. I know that if I tried the "return if you don't like it" policy, my parental units would get angry. I don't have a driver's license yet, and they dislike driving to electronics stores, which are pretty far away from my house. Even if I could drive myself, they would say that they don't like me spending so much time on getting an mp3 player and my mom would look up the latest Consumer Reports article on mp3 players (probably circa mid-2003) and make me buy the one they ranked the highest. I'd like to go to a store that actually lets me try out their players. Apple is the only company whose product I've tried before I've bought. But returning players would be a good idea. . . for most.

Mar 26, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Oddball
I don't base my purchasing decisions on one review, I usually scour the web for pretty much every single comment made about the product.

Ditto.

Mar 26, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 26
Reviews are certainly valuable, especially for flaws or features that you may not notice right away, or to narrow your choices etc. But the only way to tell if you like the sound signature of an ipod and can live with the crappy eq is to audition it. The same goes for headphones, but even moreso.

Mar 26, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
somehow I feel this thread is realted to me?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I agree with you.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Your recent review of the iHP-140 is certainly stirring the pot so to speak. Glad to see that some prople aren't affraid to speak their mind, even if it means pointing out the negatives of a player.

wink.gif

Mar 26, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by pomegranate
"somehow I feel this thread is realted to me?"
Quite possibly. If so, kudos to the starter for responding so diplomatically!

What have I missed? 'Meetings suck on Fridays!!!

This thread, related to Austonia? No. But; he brings it to light. His post was inspiration for my follow-up. It's common sense to read reviews, shop around, and yes; even make a purchase if you feel you have found the correct 'whatever'. Now: where I shop (and Amazon is one place), I make damned sure of their return policy.

It's very easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment, and just go buy something. I guess, 1 thing my 49+ years has taught me is to be patient, look around, and then react.

Personally; I think Austonia's review of the iHP-140 was fine. Everything does not have to be agreed upon. If it was; what kind of World would we be living in? It's good that some take the time and present a review.

I read soooo many reviews on everything I buy. Believe it. but; a final decision is never made until I test drive that product.

There ya go!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by AGR
I read soooo many reviews on everything I buy. Believe it. but; a final decision is never made until I test drive that product.

Some times a test drive is not possible unless purchasing. That has been the case for me when purchasing the Cambridge Audio 640C, and the Perreaux. Both of them I returned, and the reasons being not related to the sound but other flaws (Azur's transport noise, Perreaux's broken line outs). Actually, I could have tried a loaned Perraux before purchasing, but I decided to go for it anyway. The sound I liked, but the line out failing was a deal breaker.

Another example is my current purchase of the deluxe LaRocco PPA with diamond buffers and lab supply. If not purchasing it, I would need to go to a meet where that specific amp attends with those exact same options. After all the readings about the sound of that amp with those specific options, (and reviews written by relatively critical/acute headfiers) and about the quality of LaRocco's build and finish, I went ahead and made the purchase, yet never having test-driven it. Still to see if I'll love the sound, pretty sure I will.

The Azur didn't make it so I still have to find a source for this rig, I expect to probably go through a few blind tries before settling with one.

Mar 26, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 26
Find the one that has good sound. iPod could have been a good source but bass is bit lacking (and a bit too bright, highs and mids are piercing to my ears). Dont know about other DAP.

Mar 26, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 26
AGR: Thanks.

Pomegranate: Actually, Amazon has about the best return policy out there- - 30 days, no questions asked.

Austonia: You're right. That said, there is no doubting your credibility when it comes to DAP's, however it did seem a little irresponsible to title your thread as you did when you had barely opened the package (literally). Not to nit pick, but you made nary a reference to HOW THE PLAYER SOUNDS, prior to thrashing it. Your comments were based on general unfamiliarity/learning curve issues with the player compared to your others. Like I said, you are an extremely credible reviewer of DAP's. Perhaps you should have spent a little more time with the unit prior to posting.

Mar 26, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 26
roll-man, I wish you were precisely right! It's not "no-questions-asked", it's "no-quibbles" (in the UK at least, check out the US to see if it's the same)

"Our "no quibbles" guarantee means that if for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase, you can return it to us in its original condition within 30 days of the date you received the item, unopened (with any seals and shrink-wrap intact) and we will issue a full refund for the price you paid for the item. Please note: we can only accept the return of opened items if they are faulty."

I figure that this last sentence rules out any road-testing beyond looking at it (!)...shame as I have a very low boredom threshold, and I'd love to give a Karma a try....

Also, roll-man sums up how I feel about Austonia's review, but I didn't want to post further comments in a seperate post cos I don't want to appear to be having a sustained go at him, so to speak!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back