Donnie Darko.
Mar 3, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #16 of 46
this is really weird but i just watched it for the first time last week and also got totally obsessed with it; coincidence eh?

i feel the same way. i really have no clue why this film reached me; personally the destruction of the donnie-gretchen relationship was really wrenching to me. the whole "no, i never knew him" feels so very cold.

i think at least you have to have some respect for the thought processes going on to craft the multi-dimensional plot; it's easy to miss a lot of this without explanation, but the whole thing with bringing donnie to fix the corruption in the universe, through a whole process of one strangely violent event after another just so he'd be at the right place at the right time to kill frank and save the world

it's all very weird, and the logic is pretty slapped-together, i don't go searching for greater meaning in this film, but i still really liked, more than i've like any film in a long time; i'm not sure why, but i guess it just gave me a sense of wonder, and that's something i'm always searching for (see sig)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take great umbrage to insinuations that metal illness is some type of higher consciousness or plane of existence. That type of mysticism cheapens what mental illness is and the people who's lives it ruins.

Please don't let my jag ruin a movie you like however. I just have to be a blow-hard sometimes!
wink.gif

there isn't any mental illness in the film; the correct interpretation involves alternate planes of reality; tangent-universe, if you listen to the commentary they talk about this, or imdb has many loyal subjects

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can hardly even hear mention of this movie without wanting to play Gears of War anymore
blink.gif

i dig donnie and GOW and i've not a clue what you mean?
smily_headphones1.gif
hummm..............................you don't kill bunnies in gears...............no falling jet engines...............................brain..st ruggllllling.......

Mar 3, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #19 of 46
Donnie Darko is a great movie. I still haven't watched the Director's Cut even though I have it on DVD. Do you think it's better or worse than the original version?

Mar 3, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dig donnie and GOW and i've not a clue what you mean?
smily_headphones1.gif
hummm..............................you don't kill bunnies in gears...............no falling jet engines...............................brain..st ruggllllling.......

they used the same theme song.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #21 of 46
I didn't really like it. I'm seeing a lot of movies that wear a mantle of magnitude, but fail to be strong enough to a provoke a universal response of real significance. Same effect Pans Labyrinth had on me: A gathering of symbols doesn't necessarily add up to a unique mythos - the result is just diluted and unconvincing - even if thought-provoking due to vagueness.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally i think this film was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy over rated by a lot of people.

I think that that song by Gary jules was the best thing in the film...
plainface.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that that song by Gary jules was the best thing in the film...
plainface.gif

Best song, nah, the rest of the OST was just made perfectly, almost, too perfectly.

Mad world has such a better use in this movie than the GoW commercial.

I was into this movie so much, because it triggered everything I wanted to feel in a movie. As I watched it, I wanted to be Donnie, I wanted to experience what Donnie did.

Probably sounds crazy, but most of us here spend more on headphones than cars.

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #24 of 46
I watched it last night when it was apparent that I wouldn't be going out. It was the first time I've seen in from start to finish, and I guess I was found 2 hours later staring down the hallway (dorms) in kind of a daze... weird.
I relate pretty much perfectly to Donnie, except I don't have the hallucination thing. I've always been outspoken and good with words/logic like him.

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #25 of 46
i like Donnie Darko too, i saw it first in 2001 and remebered that it was pretty cool, i watched it the second time about 3 months ago and completely forgot how funny and sarcastic it is. FWIW ive read the directors cut ruins the film, so ive not had an interest in watching it.

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #26 of 46
I thought it was a decent movie, but overrated by the cult following it has and in general.

I always wonder how many people watch smaller budget films and independants to have a reference point. Sure, it's good compared to so much mainstream dreck that's out there, but there's a lot of quality competition in the other arena.

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there isn't any mental illness in the film; the correct interpretation involves alternate planes of reality; tangent-universe, if you listen to the commentary they talk about this, or imdb has many loyal subjects

This is why I should never post.

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #28 of 46
Great movie, and great freshman effort from the writer/director. I believe it lives up to the hype and then some. I think it deserves all the praise it has received.

I didn't like the director's cut as much as the theatrical release.

If you are a fan, I highly suggest watching the theatrical version with the commentary on.

Now if I wanted to start discussing what I thought are over rated movies, I would start with 'Children Of Men' and 'Little Miss Sunshine'. Other than a couple of action sequences that were done very, very well, I just don't see what is so special about Children Of Men. Highly forgettable.

Little Miss Sunshine was 'cute' but that's about it. Not anywhere near as wondeful as the masses have made it out to be.

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #29 of 46
I've only seen the Director's Cut. I wish I would have seen the original version first, just for the increased ambiguity that people say it has. (Not that there isn't enough ambiguity in the Director's Cut, of course.)

I liked the movie, fwiw. It's worth seeing. The plot doesn't make any sense no matter how much you think about it; I'm sure for all the talk of tangent universes, etc., the director himself didn't really have it all figured out. But it's fun.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only seen the Director's Cut. I wish I would have seen the original version first, just for the increased ambiguity that people say it has. (Not that there isn't enough ambiguity in the Director's Cut, of course.)

I liked the movie, fwiw. It's worth seeing. The plot doesn't make any sense no matter how much you think about it; I'm sure for all the talk of tangent universes, etc., the director himself didn't really have it all figured out. But it's fun.

You obviously didn't get the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back