Dongle Vs. Summit cans?
Nov 25, 2022 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there a Dongle that can reasonably accommodate the ATH--W2022? If they do not surpass the audio in my MSI Titan it is counterintuitive. I am fully aware of how my AT can sound. Literally from space constraints. To the point of not having a second pair. Thanks

Nov 26, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 7
Edit: After this rant I am seeing what an issue I have. For myself the H1 and M7 already being too large. I did however realize my disappointment still exists. Thinking I have indeed set my sights lower. I guess not. This thinking of mine. The Hugo 2 also being too large. Dave slaughtering Hugo. Dave being "okay" IMO. This. Perhaps why not being quickly answered. Oh ,this is a no brainier. LOL. Unless there actually exists a Dongle that can "really bring it". Doubtful at best. Ahh, another one of these scenarios. Classic move by music_man. Oh shucks did iit to myself yet again. I still have a nice pair of headphones haha. Calling it a day I reckon. At least at this point I have completely given up on GAS. ::frowning2: Therefor the chipset in this laptop actually being more of the same. Sans GAS a good thing I supppose then. Rather uncomplicated at least. Just what I was looking for here. How ironic is this? So Karma, MR. Genius head. Hope Y'all smell the catharsis on this one! Funny, right? I think so. At least having a good laugh at what may very well constitute my last fiasco. How terrible. Say trolling. I dare you. Really now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realized after the fact that this may seem to be so absurd. That it may be construed as trolling by some. I am not just attempting to bump this either. Many previous posts of mine suggest contrary. Albeit that I do tend to put myself in such postions. Now it is real. These are very likely my last pair of headphones. Just wishing to make the most of the situation if possible.

However I figured that an AIO about the size of an AK3000 or M17 can be done. Sans the the front end interface. Amp/DAC only. Battery or bus powerd. no mains other than charging if required. Diablo is way too large not to mention that units issues. Although I am inclined to think that a decent unit could fit in such a package. Obviously a compromise. Still, easily besting the laptop audio. I am not sure which one I would wish for though. Having no experience with such devices. Feeling the likes of even the Phonitor being no good with any headphones. No insult intended. That most certainly goes to preference. It explains where I stand at least. Fully understanding the limitations I have imposed upon mysellf. Setting my sights much lower regardless. That being said. This is truly a case of cannot audition. Everyone knows that song. Yes you can and should. This time it takes the cake. I shall deal.

Now, this may beg the question, why do I not simply obtain much lesser phones. Which indeed may sound better under the circumstances.
Well, to add insult to injury. They have a custom terminated 12Ft. Axios/Kimber 16 strand silver cable. I like to go all in screwing myself :) Seriously, it probably being my last pair. I am happy nonetheless at this point. Better is better though. Maybe. I assume this to be at least. the laptop audio being "okay". I imagine not by leaps and bounds. Should be of expecting some difference for the better. Perhaps the point is moot with these phones. We all have witnessed this.. Even amongst high end gear.. Not due to synergy. From throwing good after bad. So to speak. Everyone is aware of that scenario. I hope this not being the case here. If so, I am of the feeling just cut the losses already. I can handle and appreciate honesty indeed

On that note I do have very high end Amp and DAC on hand. I am no longer in a position to make "Audiophile" sacrifices. Thus, being in boxes under my nursing home bed.
As, I say I am sill quite pleased. Also as I stated, better is better(perhaps). I would appreciate any advice that may be given regardless. Lest ending up with more stuff under my bed. Unless it truly becomes a issue of don't even bother with these headphones. I am not sure if short of a proper setup these are doomed regardless. I do not think that to be the case. It very well may be. That is why I am asking. I hope elaborating has explained away the absurdity surroundng this. Furthermore I have nothing to feel bad about. Neither should you!

Perhaps out there in fact lies just the little box I am looking for.

Thanks again folks.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 7
Haven't tried it with W2022 (obviously), but after so many dongle dac, my pinnacle choice is between Luxury Precision W2 or iFi Go Bar. If you don't mind a bit bigger, Topping G5 (not dongle, run with internal battery) actually is even better choice.

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 7
Ibar gold is sold out. The W2-131 may be better regardless. Currawong made a statement to the effect of, these are not a replacement for desktop units. No kidding. It is what it is for me. The W2-131 probably being the best of them shall suffice. Thanks for replying.

On that note. One does not get even the WB2022 expecting to be in this position. No kidding on that either.

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Is there a Dongle that can reasonably accommodate the ATH--W2022? If they do not surpass the audio in my MSI Titan it is counterintuitive. I am fully aware of how my AT can sound. Literally from space constraints. To the point of not having a second pair. Thanks
Mojo 2 might be your style.

It powers the DCA Stealth with ease. I have better headroom with the Mojo 2 vs the Hugo 2 as well.

It's peanuts compared to the ATH-W2022.

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 7
I just wanted to state how pleased I am. My nursing staff originally refused to connect and utilize the equipment under the bed. This being the pinnacle of nursing homes I decided to complain to the nursing director and social coordinator. I have not asked for anything here. Yet I pay the exorbitant cost. In an interesting turn of events the daily staff were informed to appease me. Also to do so sans feelings of malice. There may be, however everyone wishing to retain their lucrative employment here. I am not going to state what is under my bed. It being so ludicrous may become unbelievable to many on this forum. I will say tubes cannot lay on their sides obviously. With even more luck going my way, Long term care beds can be raised up to 5 feet from the floor. So they can lift residents out of bed without harming themselves or the resident. To safely clear the equipment not requiring nearly that much. I have advised against crushing as well. I lucked out this time. Being my true end game these results are indeed pleasing. The notion of this being powered with a Dongle of course did not sit well with me whatsoever. I am glad though that I posted this nonetheless. Ultimately giving me will to stand up for myself. Happy for this. Very happy, Thanks, folks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back