Done with Apple's terrible earbuds. Need a pair of IEMs
Nov 21, 2009 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ThaLastShot

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

After four pairs of the stock apple earbuds breaking in one way or another I realized that it's time to step it up to some nice iems, something that will last and sound good too. My price range is <$150 and they are going to be used with my iPhone 3G. Sound isolation doesn't have to be amazing but it does need to be there. They're going to be primarily used to walk across campus and at my desk with my laptop. I generally listen to alternative rockish music. (Brand New, Manchester Orchestra, The mountain goats) and dabble in electronicaish (MGMT, Passion Pit) so I don't need/want a bass heavy iem, instead I'm looking for clarity. I was looking at the the Etymotic HF5's which right now are about $115 on amazon. While searching these forums I have heard nothing but good things about them, but when I search my price range, nothing seems to be said about them. Would these make a good choice? If not, what would?

Thanks a lot,
Nik

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 12
PFEs are excellent but I still have reservations about the build, at least until the new version comes out (supposed to be soon). I'd go for the RE0 if I were you. Not going to beat that clarity for under $150.

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PFEs are excellent but I still have reservations about the build, at least until the new version comes out (supposed to be soon). I'd go for the RE0 if I were you. Not going to beat that clarity for under $150.

I plan on going unamped, does that change your recommendation at all? It seems from reading multiple threads that because of how many ohms they are (i forget how many they actually are) they benefit more with an amp compared to a 16ohm iem. Is that correct? (I'm new to this whole iem shenanigans, so excuse things I say that aren't true)

Edit- it seems the RE0s are 64ohms while the HF5s are 16 ohms

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaLastShot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on going unamped, does that change your recommendation at all? It seems from reading multiple threads that because of how many ohms they are (i forget how many they actually are) they benefit more with an amp compared to a 16ohm iem. Is that correct? (I'm new to this whole iem shenanigans, so excuse things I say that aren't true)

Edit- it seems the RE0s are 64ohms while the HF5s are 16 ohms

You're exactly right - the RE0's benefit more from an amp than most other phones. Their scaling ability is uncanny, actually. But even unamped they still offer the best clarity I have heard in the price range, so my recommendation stands.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

You're exactly right - the RE0's benefit more from an amp than most other phones. Their scaling ability is uncanny, actually. But even unamped they still offer the best clarity I have heard in the price range, so my recommendation stands.

I'm actually surprised I'm right haha (I guess a day of reading/devouring these forums paid off). I'm def going to have to look more into them, especially for the price they are at now.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 12
Im dying to hear more about the Sleek SA1 that just released. The SA6 is an amazing phone IMO and Im hoping they will offer a great bang for the buck at $80. It might be worth the wait but thats up to you of course.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Damn it, off by $15...
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

PFEs are excellent but I still have reservations about the build, at least until the new version comes out (supposed to be soon).

well the new version is out now, from the official website its not backorder anymore. I even got a letter from Bill said the same thing. PFE is 32ohm so it will work great unamp ... rite?

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by alastiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the new version is out now, from the official website its not backorder anymore. I even got a letter from Bill said the same thing. PFE is 32ohm so it will work great unamp ... rite?

No, PFE is an exception to the impedance rule-of-thumb. IMO it benefits from amping at least as much as the RE0 does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back