Done the research and now ready to buy....
Apr 16, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #16 of 32
Beck is awesome! One of my favorites too.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #17 of 32
Yep! Saw him twice the last tour. Last time was a small club here in Nashville with my daughter and we were right up front. Now I am a grown ass man with a 20 year old daughter and I'm not small, so got some heat about blocking some, but hey, I got there 4 hours early to get up front! Coolest part was Giovanni Ribisi coming out in a old school Porter Wagnoner outfit playing tamborine and then stage diving. Great show.

So since you like beck...what IEM's do you think I should get?

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #18 of 32
AC/DC and Van Halen definitely have alot of electric guitar and higher pitched vocals that would do well with a bit forward sounding midrange. Listening to Beck his music is fairly heavily beat driven and most alternative music does not sound like it is "stage" oriented as much as detail oriented with a lot of vocals. With that in mind I think I might lean towards the C2's which may serve your musical tastes better. Having said that if this will cause grieve with the "accountant" your won't feel deprived with the NE-7M's
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #19 of 32
I'm so torn on what to do on that. Do I just get the NE-7M's or risk going ahead and spending $94 for the Klipsch and saying "you misunderstood...it wasn't $49...it was $94". Are the C2's better sounding than the NE-7Ms? You're right about the mix on stuff like Beck and most of today's music. It is mixed "bass heavy" and I certainly don't want to emphasize that more than it already is. I still want to get the "spatial" quality in alot of the music.

How about the fit of the C2's and tips? My Shures sometimes felt like they were coming out and the behind the ears wires could get bothersome...at times. If I go C2, do I need to some different tips?

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #20 of 32
The challenge is that I don't know to many people who have bought the NE-7M who have stuck with the stock tips. So keeping that in mind you may end up buying $15-20 on tips to be satisfied. If you have any JVC Air cushions lying around though, I have to say I am enjoying my NE's IMMENSLY since switching to the tips of my Aircushions (I was using Comply T400 but they were to isolating for me and actually were bothering my ears due to that tips coming in only a medium size where as I find I need to use small tips). The thing I like about the Aircushion tips is that the silicone in that brand of tip is thicker than mose giving a bit better isolation than some tips like it plus it is a bit slippery/oily which means the go in very easily and for some strange reason don't fall out at the same time. I am finding with this tips I can actually put them in my canals about 1/2 the distance I had to with the Comply's, very comfortable when I get the right distance.

So I think you need to add $15-20 for your NE-7M price for a proper comparison.

Now let me make your decision a bit tougher
very_evil_smiley.gif
. The C2's seem to have two groups of users. Those who absolutely love the design and find them the most comfortable phones EVER and those that just can't seem to get them to fit... I would normally think this is just a case of people not knowing how to get them to fit in their ears properly, except some of the people having issues are head-fi'ers who I think seem smart enough to figure that sort of thing out. So you might want to do a search for C1, C2, C3 references with fitting issues and PM some of those users or ask in those threads about what their issues were with fitting. You might also want to see if they have any trouble with other IEM's (if they generally have trouble with fitting IEM's this can be someone who has real ear sesitivity issues), then think back on your own IEM experiences and see if there is any corelation, if not you probably will like the feel of the C2's in this regard.

BTW I wear my NE's behind my ear to reduce microphonics and I think you will find the need to do this the same, so in this regard I think the C2 might win as it is really designed for this style and even has memory wire to help in this regard.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #21 of 32
Well, reading about the Apple Dual Driver here, they seem like they might be a great deal at $35 here (used, but in great condition per the above thread. And I just bought a pair).

I have the NE-7 so I will be able to compare the 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The challenge is that I don't know to many people who have bought the NE-7M who have stuck with the stock tips. So keeping that in mind you may end up buying $15-20 on tips to be satisfied. If you have any JVC Air cushions lying around though, I have to say I am enjoying my NE's IMMENSLY since switching to the tips of my Aircushions (I was using Comply T400 but they were to isolating for me and actually were bothering my ears due to that tips coming in only a medium size where as I find I need to use small tips). The thing I like about the Aircushion tips is that the silicone in that brand of tip is thicker than mose giving a bit better isolation than some tips like it plus it is a bit slippery/oily which means the go in very easily and for some strange reason don't fall out at the same time. I am finding with this tips I can actually put them in my canals about 1/2 the distance I had to with the Comply's, very comfortable when I get the right distance.

So I think you need to add $15-20 for your NE-7M price for a proper comparison.

BTW I wear my NE's behind my ear to reduce microphonics and I think you will find the need to do this the same, so in this regard I think the C2 might win as it is really designed for this style and even has memory wire to help in this regard.

I am using stock tips with the NE-7 and have no microphonics wearing them straight down. Also I wear them as far out in my ear canal as possible while getting a seal. If I wear them in more they don't sound good. Yea, I tried the NE-7 with T-400s and they sound good, but I am not going to use T-400s for my workouts and have to change them every workout because I sweat a lot.

And personally the NE-7s are my least favorite of my headphones for rock, but they are my #2 for electronic.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #22 of 32
The NE-7M are very good for the price. The stock tips are fine, you should try and see if you like them before you buy new ones. I seriously doubt that you can buy a more well rounded pair of IEMs at this price.

I have owned or currently own: ER6i, Shure E3c, UE Super.fi 3 studio/5 pro, Klipsch X10, FS Atrio M5, Q-Jays, Westone Um2, NE-7M

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #23 of 32
I am tending to lean towards the Custom 2's, even though it is out of my range. As far as the used Apple IEM's, my wife being a nurse has conditioned me to fear germs so don't think I could buy used earphones
wink.gif

I see the talk about the NE-7, what about the NE-8? How would they compare to the Klipsch? I probably would get over the over the ear thing...I just want good soundstage and seperation....

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #24 of 32
NE8 have less bass than the 7's and are a little harder to drive without and amp from what I have read. But they are supposed to be a more detailed sounding phone.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #25 of 32
Thanks dweaver...

Originally alot of folks directed me to the NE-7's, but after detailing what I would like (clear sound, spatial quality, good, but not overpowering bass and comfort) that sounds like the Custom-2's might be my best bet.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by volntitan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks dweaver...

Originally alot of folks directed me to the NE-7's, but after detailing what I would like (clear sound, spatial quality, good, but not overpowering bass and comfort) that sounds like the Custom-2's might be my best bet.

I've just posted about this site on another thread here but I thought this might help you.

The Klipsch Custom 2's are £57.99 on mymemory.co.uk with free worldwide shipping. I think this works out to be about $85 just $5 over your budget... Just looked at JR.com and they're $100 + shipping on that...

Hope this helps anyway!

EDIT: Just realised you replied to my reply in the order thread... oops... disregard this post so!

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #28 of 32
If you have the time to wait, I'd seriously monitor the price of the c2's on Amazon for the next few days. For some reason, the custom line seems to have huge price swings through amazon, and like I said, I've purchased the c2's for as low as $74 + free shipping. I also bought the C3's a couple weeks ago for around $180, and I just looked the other day & the price had dropped to $168...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back