Done lots of research...still have some burning questions. Help please
Sep 12, 2008 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hear_the_sound

Head-Fier
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I've been visiting this site a lot the past two days.
I'm looking for IEMs for my 5th generation 30 gb ipod video. My top choices are the Shure E4C, Westone UM2, and Super.fi 5 Pro.
I don't want to start a new thread on an old subject, but there are some key questions that I have not found answers for, and most of the threads dated back to 2005 so I wondered if things have changed... I hope you guys can help : )

Out of the 3 I mentioned....
1. Which headphone sounds the best at low volumes?
2. Which headphone makes the least amount of rubbing noise against the cord?
3. Which headphone is most consistent across all genres of music?
4. Which headphone will create the least amount of a humming,buzzing noise when using the ipod 5g?
5. Which headphone makes the most natural, rich, engaging sound??? I want it to be fun but not artificial. I know sound is subjective, so about my sound preferences...I am pretty new to this, but I have the Sennheiser CX-300 and find the music too bright and muddy (what a terrible combo!)

Thanks so much!!!!

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 7
i have been more than please with the sf5p from my ipod 5.5g (which i just recently sold for the new touch!).

I upgraded to the sf5p from cx500 and have been amazed. They bass response is clear and strong, the mids come to life like i have never heard, the highs aren't shrill and fit nicely with the rest.

I think they sound better than any other headphone i've ever heard including the Grado 325i.

I listen to mainly rock with some electronic and jazz and they do very well with the power of rock, they separate the different sounds in electronic, and they allow for all the subtleties to shine through in jazz.

I've not heard the other two you are considering but I am extremely happy with my Ultimate Ears.

edit: not much cable noise bc they are rapped around the ears and they are extremely engaging and fun without being unnatural.

My only suggestion is that you purchase the comply tips because the are so much more comfortable and allow for the perfect seal and best sound quality.

Oh, i've never gotten to say this because i am relatively new myself, but I'll give it a shot:

Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet.

that felt good....

Sep 12, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to mainly rock with some electronic and jazz and they do very well with the power of rock, they separate the different sounds in electronic, and they allow for all the subtleties to shine through in jazz.

I've not heard the other two you are considering but I am extremely happy with my Ultimate Ears.

X2!

If a fun sound's what you're after, the super-fi's rock...hard!

Sep 12, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 7
The Westone UM2s allow you to lay your head against something without plunging a plastic tube into your sensitive ear parts. That alone makes the difference for me.

Sep 12, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 7
The Super.fi 3 caused so much pain that I could only use them for 15 minutes.

They all have over the ear cords so cord microphonics shouldn't be too bad. I've owned Shure E3c, UM1, and Super.fi 3 and didn't/don't have problems with any of them. I get slight cord microphonics in spring and fall when I have a jacket on but unzipped. The cord makes a little bit of sound when it rubs against the zipper. This is with the UM1

Sep 12, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 7
How do the Super.fi 5 Pro sound at low volume? Do you have to crank up the volume to hear the details? I read that the sound is muddy sometimes.

Also thanks for the input on the UM2. I don't wear headphones when I'm sleeping so that isn't a concern for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back