Donating old IEMs
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jbfps116

New Head-Fier
I have like 5-6 older earbuds and IEMs that I no longer want (mostly KZ) and I'm wondering if anyone has ideas where I can give them away / donate them. I can include the necessary basic ear tips and wires. My first thought was maybe a library, but who knows. I know most people don't use wired earbuds anymore. I just don't need to keep a huge collection of earbuds I'm not gonna use.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 7
Libraries are a great option, or alternatively GoodWill.

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 7
If some of your local schools use tablets/PC's in their classes, they might need some loaner headphones for when the kids forget their own sets, or the school's sets dies?

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 7
It might be a health concern if a place will accept them or not. If they're cleaned with 90% isopropyl you could sell them as a lot in eBay or Mercari. A homeless shelter, Goodwill, or Salvation Army might even take them, but I'd call and ask first. A school or church in a low income area might be most likely to want them, do distribute to members or students.

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 7
You could do a local Buy Nothing group on Facebook. BN also has an app for Android or Apple, but I don't know if it's still somehow linked to FB.
Or list it as free on Craigslist. When I want to get rid of something and don't want to deal with all the wack jobs on Craigslist, I do a "curb alert" and specify that I won't reply to emails or hold it for anybody.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 7
I had planned on doing something like this…then the pandemic happened and put all of that on hold. So my suggestion is to go to a library during after school hours and ask the librarian if it is okay to give the sets of earbuds away to those who are busy reading. If they approve of it, then just find whoever is reading and if you feel that they would also enjoy music with their reading, then give them away. The only caveat is that you try to find apps that your library uses and that you can use on cell phone, tablet, or PC/Mac, like Libby by Overdrive:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s-11-now/3e7e2933-e0cc-40ef-bbac-a51a247c8acd

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 7
I kinda doubt librarians are going to approve a stranger going through the library approaching people with something to insert in their anatomy.

Put them up as a lot on Ebay or Craigslist for the price of the postage with "free shipping." Heck, put them in Head-Fi Classifieds or on Reddit. They'll go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back