Donald North Audio Tube Rolling
Nov 21, 2017 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

claud W

Headphoneus Supremus
Please post your tube rolling experiences on your Stratus, Stellaris, Sonett 1 and 2. Even with 4 different models, there just ain't that many of us, so preparing and educating future owners with our experiences rolling tubes in these amps may make for a happier DNA experience. The wait is long as all of you know. There is plenty of time to pick up the odd NOS tube or two before you are blessed with its arrival. Do not limit yourself to only NOS tubes. There are great 2A3s and rectifiers out there that are of recent manufacture.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 43
For the Stratus I have in my headphone system (Itunes on a 2017 MacBook Pro + the latest versions of A+ or Bit Perfect + Nos Wavelength V2 Dac + HD650 and AKG 7xx) the tube rolling I did does not change the basic character of the sound. Instead, if you want something that does really improve the sound, I recommend you get your Stratus modified by Donald or order one with the modifications. I made a few of the modifications that Donald does, prior to Donald's announcement, and few on my own, and it swamped any sound changes due to tube rolling. Donald does nothing without a good reason and a lot of listening to multiple configurations of mods.

While you may think this conclusion is based on my preferred headphones, I do have access to several Flagship models through a local dealer, but the conclusion was the same. Our brains are all different!

Nov 25, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 43
Frihed89, Donald did not tell me about optional mods when I ordered last month. As you know , he makes improvements year to year, and those are available. I think a poster here had his updated to 2017 specs for $400. I like some of your headphones as you can see in my Sig. Rewired, they sound very nice, especially my AKG 702. This thread got me curious about Senn HD 800S, so I ordered a pair off Ebay.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 43
Please help us newby Stratus owners. After using our stock tubed Stratus for a couple of weeks or a month, What 2A3 mesh plates should we try with which headphones?
Which solid plates, Sophia Carbon Plate?, EML ? Psvane Replica?
What about NOS tubes? RCA dual gray plates or blacks? (mono plates are priced as unobtanium) Sylvania? Ken Rad?
What about all those Asian tubes?

Is it true that the input tube and the rectifier have more influence on the sound than the power tubes?????

Dec 9, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 43
I haven't tried that many power tubes, as I have a working pair of AVVTs. My back-up is 2 pairs of RCA dual black plates. When the AVVTs give out, I suspect I will turn to the EML solid plate.

Rectifiers have an audible impact on the sound, but I really can't say if it is less or greater than the power tubes. The difference between the AVVTs and the RCA output tubes is audible in character. I enjoy both.

Dec 9, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 43
For those of you thinking about buying Psvane tubes, You might want to try buying them through Amazon. Although they are sold by dealers in Hong Kong and China, Amazon will protect your sale. I purchased sunglasses from a Chinese seller on Amazon and I got a different brand and style. It cost $27 to return them and Amazon reimbursed the $27 and later with no sunglasses or response from the seller, my purchase price was refunded too.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #7 of 43
I think there have been some reliability issues raised by some members about PSvane tubes. Yoy may want to do a search.

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 43
After checking with Donald about compatibility, I bought the Sophia Aqua 274b. Since then I’ve put a little over 100hrs on it and I’m pleased to say it’s an excellent rectifier. Nice tone, very quiet, spacious soundstage and nice detail. Highly recommended.

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 43
My experience is strictly with the Sophia 274b AQUA. The Aqua version they apparently changed the specs from their other 274bs they offer to better suit circuits designed around 5U4G parameters. I own some top notch NOS rectifiers like black and brown base U52s, WE422a gray plates etc. and this Aqua 274b can really hold up to these others in most departments.

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 43
Great, in this case I might go with a pavane 274b we replica. Too many people said it sounds the same.

Dec 9, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #14 of 43
Well, here we are more than a year after I started this thread. Now I am beginning my first tube rolling. I have already settled on my input tube. It really added a lot of dynamics and life to my other stock tubes. Its a very special 6N1P. Yesterday I rolled in a Ken Rad 5U4G VT -244. It had LOTS of bass and little else. I switched it out with a WE 422a which was much better, but a bit hyper and sharp so today I will start with a brown base U52.
It snowed 5 inches last night and is still snowing. I will be tube rolling instead of working tomorrow I suspect.

Dec 9, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #15 of 43
These are some of my NOS rectifiers that are close at hand including the aforesaid Ken Rad and WE 422a. The one on the left is a U52 i will try next.
DSC_2086.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back