Don Scorpio Dolphins
Jan 28, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #31 of 80
Hi everyone! I haven't been on this thread for a few weeks, but I have been using that time to listen to a crap-ton (that's about 1.3 metric tons) of music with these cans. My conclusions: Wow. These are fantastic headphones! My initial discomfort is almost entirely gone as I have gotten used to the feel of them. Despite having wonky ears that never feel the same, AND wearing glasses and being on the move all the time, I find these to about as comfortable as anything else I've owned. Best of all they sound phenomenal, doubtless better than anything else I've ever had. Simply put, I think these headphones are superb. Sometime in the next few days or so I'll post a full but basic review of these, and if I have the time I will read through the guide on describing sound and redo my review.

TLDR: Been gone, been listing to cans, think they're great, review inbound.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #32 of 80
  The build quality is OK. A flaw that may be fatal for some is a creaky build. When help by the earpads and separated, it makes a creaking sound.

He's right, three months I bought a NEW Dolphin in Ebay for something like 80€ (60 pounds) and they were horrible cracking sounds... The headset was great, very good sound, very nice design, comfortable etc but three days ago, it's happened... I've got it in my head and when I expected to put it on a table, I guess I did a violent move and the hoop just broke. This is my fault but I think this was bad quality plastic... I'm now very sad lol
I hope that I will be able to get the warranty (warranties in Hong-Kong, I'm not sure this is a good option...) and if I will not I will try to repair them...

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #34 of 80

The build quality is OK. A flaw that may be fatal for some is a creaky build. When help by the earpads and separated, it makes a creaking sound.

He's right, three months I bought a NEW Dolphin in Ebay for something like 80€ (60 pounds) and they were horrible cracking sounds... The headset was great, very good sound, very nice design, comfortable etc but three days ago, it's happened... I've got it in my head and when I expected to put it on a table, I guess I did a violent move and the hoop just broke. This is my fault but I think this was bad quality plastic... I'm now very sad lol
I hope that I will be able to get the warranty (warranties in Hong-Kong, I'm not sure this is a good option...) and if I will not I will try to repair them...

Can you post a photo of the break? From the US it costs about $USD15 to send a two pound package to HK/China. I just hope that they'll cover it under warranty.

You can fix it yourself. Take a metal band and bend it to the shape of the headband. With duct tape attach the band to headband. Attach to the band velcro adhesive strip on bottom side, then cut and wrap velour that has velcro. This is my first thought, but something like it might work.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #35 of 80
Thanks for your answer :p
Sadly, I can't upload pictures for the moment...
For the warranty, when I bought it, I saw that send it to Hong-Kong will be gratis but I think don't know how it works and maybe am I taking a risk by doing this. You know, chinese don't work like we used to do and maybe is it a better solution to fix it.
I agree with all you said about fixing it and I think that's what I will try...

Something is sure : I will do all my best to have my headphones back because they're really amazing...

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #39 of 80
Don't worry, I really think I did a bad move... If you ordered some, you know yet that that you need to be careful when you're taking it. :wink:
I want to buy new Dolphins but Luminous Ocean's version is no more at 80€... :frowning2:

"Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay."

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #40 of 80
  Don't worry, I really think I did a bad move... If you ordered some, you know yet that that you need to be careful when you're taking it. :wink:
I want to buy new Dolphins but Luminous Ocean's version is no more at 80€... :frowning2:

"Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay."

I went for the rather retro looking "Champagn Gold".

You don't have to order them from ebay: http://penonaudio.com/Earphones/Headphone/DONSCORPIO-Dolphin

Takes Paypal.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #41 of 80
Yeah lol, I don't know if the Champagne Gold are as beautiful as the luminous ocean's one but they seem good looking too.
I expected to buy on eBay because at a moment, it was just about 80€ (60GBP) and in Penon Audio it's 99GBP (130€) :p
I will wait a bit for other offers...
When you'll have the Champagne Cold, will you be able to post some pictures of the headset ? Because pictures from the official DonScorpio's site are always different you know. :)
I don't know how they did this lol : http://s-donscorpio.com/images/projects/dolphin_gold_03.jpg

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Donscorpio-Dolphin-metal-headphone-headset-earphone-with-microphone-and-remote-for-MP3-Smartphone-high-quality-free/1183804_2050558896.html

Here they are at 80€ for 6 days :)

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #42 of 80
Sure, i can post some pictures, but if you think i'll be commiting cruelty to headphones like that crazed champagne gold owner, think again!

Yes i saw that offer too, but decided to spend £5 more on them at Penon as on Head-Fi they are consistantly said to be reliable and fair when dealing with returns and overall a good company.

I also bought some more headphones yesterday.... guess i couldn't wait for the Dolphins to arrive.

edit: I'll be posting a review of these once the Don Scorpio's arrive as there are not enough out there.

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #43 of 80
  It's broken here : http://i.imgur.com/Eo3Eipm.jpg

It's funny because the guy who posted this picture said that we needed to take care of this part.

Wait, so you did not buy this pair of Dolphins from Penon but rather from some other store, it cracked, and now you need a help to replace it under warranty?

Either way, I know from reading other posts on Head-fi that Penon was able to help a number of people who didn't even buy headphones from them.  That store is authorized dealer for so many different manufacturers, sometime they help other users to work through warranty process.  Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but it worth a try instead of throwing these away - just pay for shipping to Penon if they agree to take care of it.  Email them at: penonaudio@hotmail.com and explain what happened.  Their support is top notch.  And honestly, Dolphins are worth fixing.  I have so many headphones in my collection, and still use them on a daily basis.

Oh, and that pictures you quoted above is from my XDA review :)  I remember someone replied after my review with a marker around what they considered as a "weak" spot :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back