Dolby Headphone
Oct 29, 2003 at 10:31 AM Post #16 of 23
I've been watching movies using PowerDVD with Dolby Headphone for years, and with the introduction of Dolby Headphone electronics, such as the Philips HP1500 and Pioneer DIR1000C, I've been wondering if there is, or will be, a software product for my PC that will allow me to listen to any sound with Dolby Headphone processing, whether it be television shows I'm watching using my Hauppauge PVR-250 or music I'm listening to using foobar2000. I plan on purchasing an HP1500, but I'd prefer a software solution. I've emailed some companies, including M-Audio and Creative Labs, to ask if they've considered incorporating Dolby Headphone into the driver software for their sound cards, but I haven't received any responses yet.

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Oct 29, 2003 at 1:19 PM Post #17 of 23
Yes there is. WinDVD 5 platinum has Dolby Headphones surround processing. WinDVD 5 platinum costs 5X more than the hearo player, but I currently prefer it over the hearo player. You can choose between Dolby Headphones & SRS Surround XT.

Oct 29, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by tortie
Yes there is. WinDVD 5 platinum has Dolby Headphones surround processing. WinDVD 5 platinum costs 5X more than the hearo player, but I currently prefer it over the hearo player. You can choose between Dolby Headphones & SRS Surround XT.

But, if you read Bosh's post, you'll see he wants to be able to listen to "any sound" with Dolby Headphone. I suspect that what he would really want is to be able to apply Dolby Prologic 2 to sound and then have it transformed to Dolby Headpone.

Oct 29, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #19 of 23
Oh I see. Sorry, I missed that one
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
apply Dolby Prologic 2 to sound and then have it transformed to Dolby Headpone.

Yeah, that's the ticket. Could this be done through software alone?

Oct 31, 2003 at 2:47 PM Post #22 of 23
Those enamored with Dolby Headphone, but wishing for room effects with ordinary two-channel music, can certainly play around with a software reverb. Be sure you're "motivated" though. :wink:

If using a PC, an easy way to experiment is to invoke the Microsoft DMOs (DirectX Media Objects) already present in DirectX 8.0 and above.

These include Chorus, Compressor, Distortion, Echo, Flanger, Gargle, I3DL2Reverb, ParamEq, Speaker Correction Wrapper, and WavesReverb.

Winamp 2.9x along with Adapt-X v3.5 (freeware) should do the trick, and can be downloaded from the Winamp.com site.

If the results happen to be pleasing, an individual would most likely want to move on to more competent and capable software. Personally, I found the WavesReverb (in combination with the parametric EQ and compressor), fun to play around with on an old favorite MP3 track.

TravelLite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back