Dolby Headphone
Oct 12, 2007 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Cecala

Headphoneus Supremus
I have read about the JVC SU-DH1 unit as I want the decoder only. Is there a high quality version from any manufacturer that has optical in and outs as I intend to have a separate amp power my phones. It seems all the units out there either supply headsets or do not provide digital outputs.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read about the JVC SU-DH1 unit as I want the decoder only. Is there a high quality version from any manufacturer that has optical in and outs as I intend to have a separate amp power my phones. It seems all the units out there either supply headsets or do not provide digital outputs.

One of the Philips models SBC ... (?) has optical input. I don't know about the output, but my model SBC AH 1000 has coaxial in and out.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 18
I got a JVC SU-DH1, and initially I was a little bummed about it not having a digital out. However, just using the headphone out with my DT770 Pro 80's makes watching movies a blast. If you have any low impedence phones, I don't think you'd regret not having a amp for the JVC SU-DH1.

BTW, I've also used 250-ohm heandphones with it and still enjoyed it.

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just use my HD650 with it. See http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...one_story.html
for more info on how to use an ordinary headphone as a Dolby headphone. That gadget does the Dolby bit for me once I plug in the HD650. It works with my audio processor optical input as well.

Are you sure it is Dolby Headphone or just a normal stereo downmix? Is there a DH logo on this thing? DH units should have three modes of room acoustics ...

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 18
The unit has not got a single marking on it to identify who made it or what it is for. Everything is in the instructions. I picked it up at the Taiwanese Electronics Fair last year at the Shinkin booth. That fair is actually on right now as well.
I can only go by what the instructions mentioned and what I can hear. You asked a question, and I showed you details of what I found. Best you email that company for more details and see if they'll sell you one if it does what you are looking for.
I bought their USB to optical converter, and also their analogue to optical converter. I use both of them with my TC-7510 DAC. I love gadgets
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The unit has not got a single marking on it to identify who made it or what it is for. Everything is in the instructions. I picked it up at the Taiwanese Electronics Fair last year at the Shinkin booth. That fair is actually on right now as well.
I can only go by what the instructions mentioned and what I can hear. You asked a question, and I showed you details of what I found. Best you email that company for more details and see if they'll sell you one if it does what you are looking for.
I bought their USB to optical converter, and also their analogue to optical converter. I use both of them with my TC-7510 DAC. I love gadgets
wink.gif

Thanks for your input Herandu,
I'm not doubting you but if what you say is true then this gadget is amazing.
What I need is an optical to optical variant so it would connect digitally between a dvd player and a headphone amp with digital processing on board(input).
From what I see on their website I'm out of luck.

Dec 30, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 18
Found anything yet?

I'm also looking into it, but for now the JVC seems to be the only processor that does the trick properly as an external unit, but I don't like it being battery- powered and not having a digital output. Like you say: an optical to optical variant would be ideal..

Happy holidays

Stefaan

Dec 30, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefaan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Found anything yet?

I'm also looking into it, but for now the JVC seems to be the only processor that does the trick properly as an external unit, but I don't like it being battery- powered and not having a digital output. Like you say: an optical to optical variant would be ideal..

Happy holidays

Stefaan

Check out the Mixamp.. 2nd gen DH technology.. Supports Coax/optical/USB. Not battery powered..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back