Dolby Headphone vs CMSS3D-Headphone
Sep 2, 2005 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

thomase

Head-Fier
I tried to compare the two using the THX optimizer multichannel sound test on the Starwars II DVD, but for some reason, PowerDVD 6.0 doesn't let me play the THX optimizer.

So instead I played a few scenes. It was hard to tell a difference in quality of positioning. One thing I did notice however, particularly in the Yoda lightsaber scene, is that I got some deep bass with CMSS3D-Headphone that was missing with Dolby Headphone. The bass response on my A500s goes pretty low relative to typical headphones. Maybe Dolby Headphone (at least the PowerDVD 6.0 software implementation) is discarding the LFE channel where CMSS3D-Headphone is mixing it in?

Has anyone else found any demos revealing differences between the two, particularly with regards to positioning?

Sep 7, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 4
Apparently, the new C-Media 8788 is bundled with Dolby Headphone, which will be used for "3D gaming sounds". I wonder if this means that they are using the Dolby Headphone algorithms for DirectSound3D/OpenAL. If so, I wonder if they are using it "as is" or adding the ability to virtualize more than 5 positions (including varying elevation).

Interesting that with the end of Sensaura licensing, VIA is choosing to use QSound tech and C-Media is choosing to use Dolby tech.

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 4
I read somewhere that Dolby Labs was able to simplify the Dolby headphone algorythm so less processing was required to achive the same effect. Im sure this down to gain more licensing deals...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back