Dolby headphone for music?
Dec 26, 2011 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gr33nL34f

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure this is the right place for this but does anyone else use dolby headphone for their music? ive found it makes the music sound better imo on my sound card what do you guys think or is it mostly used for movies/games? 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Wow really? it makes my creative fatal1ty headset sound alot better it makes it more ugh whats the word,,,full sounding? 

I use it too but only with a custom foobar2000 dolby headphone config I've tweaked. Without channel mixer and EQ anti measurements I don't find it good sounding, like above poster said, results too much on sound quality but try this foobar2000 config if you really like dolby headphone as this has barely any sound quality impact while greatly enhancing the soundstage and positioning:

http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/47211237/file.html (Remember to disable dolby headphone in the soundcard if it's enabled as it would get enabled twice and start sounding weird)

If you use a soundcard as your source (onboard sound or a PCI/PCI-E soundcard) I recommend you put speaker config into 5.1 speakers, sounds even better then.

For more info check my thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss

Here's 3 examples that's been recorded with the config:
 ​

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 12
I use a asus xonar dg sound card w/built in amp and dolby headphone i use the custom effect that comes with its software i keep it on the "soft rock" setting to me it sounds good with all music over the other settings. i also keep the audio channel on 4 channels it goes up to 8 i dont know what that really affects though and the sample rate at pcm 96khz.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I use a asus xonar dg sound card w/built in amp and dolby headphone i use the custom effect that comes with its software i keep it on the "soft rock" setting to me it sounds good with all music over the other settings. i also keep the audio channel on 4 channels it goes up to 8 i dont know what that really affects though and the sample rate at pcm 96khz.

Use 6 channels, others have reported it working the best then, not sure if it will be a big difference but you should get "center" channel dolby headphone info then as well, at least if you'd try my foobar2000 dolby config it will have slight difference as I tweaked the center channel setting slightly there so. When you use 5.1 speaker / 6 channels with dolby headphone it somehow processes the signal as 5.1 but outputs into stereo still so you don't miss out on the rear channels etc.

I think it sounds really poor without the combination of channel mixer plugin in foobar2000, the treble is pushed way back, the sound is more laid-back and muffled, the channel mixer fixes this though, brings it to the "front". It really changes how dolby headphone sounds like bigtime, then I finally use a bit of EQing to fix the remaining frequency balance change Dolby Headphone brings.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 12
doby headphone might not work well on certain headphones since all doby headphone really is. is a ''diffused-field'' equalization process. most surround-sound processing is diffused-field equalized, even with speakers.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
doby headphone might not work well on certain headphones since all doby headphone really is. is a ''diffused-field'' equalization process. most surround-sound processing is diffused-field equalized, even with speakers.

Has worked great with all headphones I've tried with the custom foobar2000 config. :)

I've thought about making a video demonstrating the differences in my custom config:

Stock foobar 
vs
Dolby Headphone
vs
Dolby Headphone+channel mixer
vs 
Dolby Headphone+channel mixer+EQ

You can hear a very distinct difference with all those steps. Stock foobar sounds definitely better than just enabling Dolby Headphone but enabling also channel mixer plugin things really starts happening.

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 12
i know it can work great. just mentioning some headphone might not be easily able to be tuned for doby headphone.

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

It isn't just EQ. I have a Denon minisystem that does Dolby HP. I can clearly hear simulated room echoes.

May 19, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 12
My two cents :)

I am clearly miles away from a real head-fier (like many in this forum) when it comes to perfecting sound quality and customization of a sound system/experience.

My objectives when it comes to sound are more average, but I find it great to draw inspiration and council from "pioneers" xD

I have a Xonar DX soundcard (which has Dolby Headphone feature?software?thingy?) and Sennheiser RS180 headphones (which are wireless, a must for me!)
I also have a crappy (didn't come around to upgrade them yet) 5.1 Logitech sound system.

Now I use my setup for all ends of the trade:
- music (all kinds of music really, from trance to opera to psychedelic rock to Spanish guitar)
- gaming (which requires precise sound positioning, such as Counter Strike Global Offensive (aka CS GO))
- movies (which I like to be as immersed as possible)

With the speakers I find 5.1 with 7.1 virtual speaker shifter works "fine", but the true sound comes in the headphones.
I have for long time been using 2 Channels, 192 KHz, Headphone mode and Dolby Headphone every time I would put my headphones (became a habbit). After reading this thread... I went like... wait what?!?! So I changed to 6 Channels, still 192 KHz (I don't really know how this impacts sound... I guess highest is bestest :p?) but most importantly... I selected 5.1 speaker configuration (which then automatically disables Dolby Headphone).

Suddenly the music just became more "around my head" and definitely clearer. Before it was a little bit like I was under its pressure which in certain situations was great (like with techno).

I am still to try this configuration while gaming to see if positioning is as good. I admit Dolby Headphones had good positioning... but it wasn't perfect. I could tell the overall direction of footsteps and guestimate the distance. And movies feel more immersive with Dolby Headphones on - I think - but will need more testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back