Dolby Headphone + Foobar2000 = AWESOME
Jun 2, 2009 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Deathwish238

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I just learned that Foobar2000 has Dolby Headphone support.

For those that have yet to try, it...I highly recommend you do.

Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone Wrapper
Dolby Headphone 1.10.0270

I put the dll in my Windows/System32 folder although you don't need to as you can specify where it is when you select Dolby Headphone in the DSP Manager and then configure it. The volume will be reduced a bit, but there is an "amplification" slider for those needing more volume, it had no negative effect on sq.

I don't have my main setup as I write this, I'm limited to my laptop's mediocre onboard audio and my SR-80s. The difference is drastic, reminding me of listening to music on my KEFs.

I'm a purist at heart, but I'm having a heard time not liking this
o2smile.gif

The soundstage is just soo much wider. You no longer have a flat wall of noise coming to your ear. There seems to be so much more depth to music!

Is it possible that Dolby Headphone is actually more accurate than straight Stereo?

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 8
My sound card can do it so I've messed around with it a bit. I guess I'm a bit of a purist, but I mostly prefer regular stereo. I do use dolby headphone occasionally when listening to a live album when I want to just shut my eyes and really relax. It's a mood thing.

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 8
It's interesting, but on my Grado SR225's it really made the entire presentation less engaging. Haven't tried it with my DT770s yet, my hair is still wet from showering. :p

Definitely fun to play with though

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 8
It makes the music much less forward and in your head...as if you're listening to some nice speakers instead of nice headphones.

I don't find it to actually color the sound at all, it just alters the soundstage and depth.

Music is made to be listened to on speakers after all...not headphones. So listening to music on headphones is by definition not purist.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Dolby headphone is useful. I have about 20 different versions of it on my receiver. Like DB H + room 1,2,3 (small, medium, large) + Live Music, Cinema, concert etc. The effect is pretty neat but I go pure stereo for purely music.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 8
I 've got Dolby stuff in my D2 but thanks for the plugin, very useful toy.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathwish238 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I

Music is made to be listened to on speakers after all...not headphones. So listening to music on headphones is by definition not purist.

huh???

music is as varied, in the mix, as anything in life!

some engineers mix well to speakers and some don't. some look for a clean sound stage and some mess it up.

some assume spkrs in a certain layout (30degrees or whatever) and some don't.

music that is played back is VERY artificial. speakers, phones, whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back