Dolby Headphone and the almighty dolbyhph.dll file
Jul 2, 2015 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

abstralytical

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi community,

I have been seriously listening to music with headphones for many years now, but only recently came it to my mind to enhance my listening experience with advanced headphone signal processing (head-related transfer functions) to reduce the spatial problems inherent with usual headphone use. Only very few posts on the entire internet even remotely deal with this topic and also head-fi has only few posts regarding in-depth information. The effect is marvelous and the technology deserves the whole attention of the whole headphone community in my humble opinion. So far as I have come to know only ASUS produces sound cards that consistenly incorporate Dolby Headphone over the whole range of the series. Other manufacturers offer alternatives to this technology, but a quick comparison convinced me personally that those do not perform as well as the Dolby flavour of the technology does. The Foobar2000 project offers a wrapper for the dolbyhph.dll file which can be mostly found bundled with commercial movie playback software players. I am planning to convert my entire digital audio file archive with Dolby Headphone for a second headphone-friendly archive copy. But one important question remains...

"What dolbyhph.dll version is the most recent and how can it be utilised to its full potential?"

Kind regards,
abstralytical

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 2
Sorry for the necro,

I came across this page from Google with the same question so I might as well answer it now that I know the answer.

The latest version of DolbyHph.dll is "1.20.0.276" as of this moment (02-01-2016 "DD-MM-YYYY"). It can be found in Cyberlink's PowerDVD 15 Ultra (just download the trial) and probably newer versions once they come out.

As for the setup, "http://www.head-fi.org/t/447089/5-1-headphone-experience-foobar-configuration-for-all-stereo-music-files" seems to be the only correct setup. The test file has been moved to "http://lynnemusic.com/surround.html". It has also been archived multiple times by the Wayback Machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back