Dolby Digital vs DTS
Apr 8, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #16 of 25
I use dts anytime it is available on a disc. with my m&k 5.1 setup you can tell the difference right off. better bass response and overall better soundstage if you ask me!

Apr 8, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #17 of 25
I heard DTS was good but I never actually experienced it for myself...yet. I have a question about DTS though, a little off topic, but is it only offered in 5.1?

I heard DD was going to do more than 5.1, like 7.1 maybe even 9.1? Is DTS working on this also?

Apr 8, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by C4 Suke
I heard DTS was good but I never actually experienced it for myself...yet. I have a question about DTS though, a little off topic, but is it only offered in 5.1?

I heard DD was going to do more than 5.1, like 7.1 maybe even 9.1? Is DTS working on this also?

No. I have discs with 6.1 DTS, 4.1 DTS, 4.0 DTS, and other variations.

Apr 29, 2003 at 11:43 AM Post #19 of 25
Although I concurr with the concensus that DTS appears to sound better than DD, I would like to share the following observation with you.

I had the opportunity to test a variety of DTS recievers about a year ago. I tried everything from a $150 technics receiver to a $1000 Marantz.

My benchmark was my existing home receiver, Yamaha Dsp 3090, a NON-DTS, DD only, former flagship receiver that I had picked up second hand for a few hundred, but had retailed new for about $2000. Definitely a difference class from the test receivers.

Well.. the bottom line was, DTS did sound better than DD on all the test receivers..

HOWEVER...DD on my yahama receiver sounded better than DTS on ALL the other receivers.

Conclusion? Good quality components make alot of difference sometimes. The yahama wasn't the best for music, but the quality of the amplification, and the engineering made up for the lack of DTS..

( I didn't upgrade, still have it.. saved myself $1000_ dollars..)

Apr 29, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #20 of 25
A while back there was a debate between DTS and DD...
if I remember correctly it was in AVS forum www.avsforum.com but I cant seem to find the thread and something was published in widescreen review. Apparently, DTS did some tests that showed why they were superior to DD and DD did a rebuke etc...anyhow there was a back and forth battling of words and test results

I cant find it now but I did find these
http://www.5point1.com/dts/battle.html
http://www.secondbeat.com/html/articles/march/dts.html

I seem to prefer DTS as well as it seems more dynamic...highs are highs and lows are lows and there seems to be a wider range and the surrounds are better utilized but that could be the sound engineer having a bit more fun with the DTS mix than the DD...

Anyways...

Apr 30, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by daniel422
DTS is slightly less compressed than DD -- but realisticly not enough for you to notice. The big difference is the complete re-mastering of the soundtrack. It makes direct comparison very difficult as far as sound quality goes. I will agree that I prefer the DTS soundtracks in most instances.

This is not entirely, unless you call 448kbps and 1.4mbps a slight difference
smily_headphones1.gif

DD may ofcourse be 640kbps, but this is quite uncommon, especially on consumer ready DVD material.

Apr 30, 2003 at 1:22 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

This is not entirely, unless you call 448kbps and 1.4mbps a slight difference

I agree. As i stated previously, i do a lot of dvd ripping where i extract the audio and video tracks. Ive had quite a few dvds where i extracted both a DD and a DTS track. The file size difference between the 2 is very large. Sometimes the DTS track is nearly twice the size of the DD. This tells me that DD has been compressed more than just "slightly" in comparison to DTS.

Apr 30, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #23 of 25
i have a decent ht, and agree that dts in general is more musical and dynamic than dd soundtracks. my impression is:

dd = brighter, more compressed, brings out detail as if the soundtrack is magnified. also, dd can be dynamically compressed by my reciever for late night movies.

dts = warmer, deeper and more accurate 3d soundstage. also, the dts track reproduces music far better, and has more realistic and subtle dynamics. cannot compress the dynamics via rec.

dts is not always better, i have noticed on some dvd's that the dts & dd tracks are almost the same in quality.

if anyone owns the 20th anniversary edition of "alien", check out the french audio track. i think it is superior to the english in almost every way (except for the dubbing of course), especially the sound effects which seemed to have been remixed.

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #24 of 25
I generally prefer the DTS tracks as well when they are included. I find the musical scores sound a bit more alive in general.

John

So how do you actually play it in Windows PC or laptop ? what software to use and what codec ?

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #25 of 25
I may one of the few people who like Dolby better than DTS. My main reason is because my choice of Headsets, a Turtle Beach X42, works on a Sony UBP-X800 and other stand-alone Blu Ray, 3D and 4K players when the movie is Dolby and I can hear surround sound well in them. As for DTS movies, I get zero sound. I thought it was my headset, so I bought a Sony MDR-DS6500 which supposedly had Dolby and DTS surround on headphones. The Dolby movies sound good. Slightly worse direction-wise, but might be better in trebles and basses, but the DTS sounds 1-dimensional, only left and right: no front/back, no up/down. My DTS movies sound directionally right in my Xbox One S, and before that, a PS3, because I heard Xbox and Playstation has DTS/Dolby interconverters. So my Xbox converts DTS to Dolby before it gets into my Turtle Beach Dolby Headphones. Even Turtle Beach's DTS:X Headphones only works with Dolby surround encoding. I thought Turtle Beach is the best directional brand because gaming headphones have the best directional sound, becuase you can track sounds on the soundstage more accurately.

I know I can buy another Xbox One S for $250, possibly $170 if I wait for Christmas. Are there any other options for me getting DTS in directionally accurate sound (basses and trebles are secondary compared to direction.) on a non-gaming Blu Ray/3D/4K Player that are just as inexpensive/less expensive?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back