Dolby DIgital Vs. DTS..... Which one is better ?
Jan 8, 2004 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
Actually is there a major difference between dolby digital and DTS ?
Ive read so many articles, and many of them are stating that DTS is the better surround sound format.
Im just a regular Joe, I never had the experience ( never had the equipment and knowledge, hehe...) to compare the two.. But Im curious, how "different" is DTS compared to Dolby Digital system....

Anyone very familiar with those two formats willing to give unbiased info ?

Jan 8, 2004 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 29
My understanding is that DTS uses approximately 3x the data rate that Dolby Digital does across all 6 channels (well, 5.1). Effectively Dolby Digital uses far more compressed audio than DTS. So, it's analogous to listening to a 128kbps MP3 as opposed to a WAV file etc.

Dolby Digital itself does sound pretty good (to my ears anyway, through my KEF setup at home), but there is a noticeable improvement with DTS even on my fairly low-mid end set (all in, speakers were about $1500).

The main difference I find is that sound is cleaner, treble is more defined. Bass (particularly from the subwoofer .1 channel) tends to be a bit more powerful, but this is most likely down to slightly different mixing between the DD5.1 and DTS tracks in the studio.

Anyway, most receivers support DTS so I'd suggest you head on over to a shop and try out some stuff, even if you have no intention of buying, you will when you leave
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 29
In my personal experience in listening to both DD and DTS, there is little to choose between them. Note that by far the majority of DTS DVD soundtracks are of the half-rate (754kbps) variety rather than the 1509kbps "full rate" variant (full rate just takes up too much space on the disc for most titles to consider it). DD is either 448kbps or 384kbps.

For a far from impartial, but nonetheless useful, comparison, read through Dolby's evaluation (including their response to DTS's subsequent rebuttals) here:

Dolby Evaluates DTS

For the record, I have professional relationships with both Dolby and DTS in the design of equipment to decode their various formats and have no axe to grind with either.

Jan 8, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 29
Totally, I'd say that the difference is no where near as clear as between a 128k and WAV (as I mentioned in my first post), it was just the best analogy I could to explain the differences.

As you say, the difference isn't greatly noticeable, and is totally dependent on the way the tracks are mixed. If there's a DTS track I'll use that, but if not and its only DD5.1 I never think aw crap its going to sound bad!

Jan 8, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 29
DTS can be dramatically better than DD5.1, but it has to do with the DVD author's choice of what bitrate to encode the DTS format in. DTS can contain a lot more data, but due to size (how much do you want to fit on disc) issues, a lot of time it isn't fully utilized.

One movie I can remember that really made a huge difference going from DD to DTS... "Life As A House".. which has one of the best DTS soundtrack I've heard out of any DVD's I can remember. There was a clear difference between the DD and DTS track on that DVD.

Jan 9, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 29
As with any compressed audio, higher bitrates are better.

dj_mocok, it doesn't matter if you're using 2.1.

Jan 9, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 29
I personally prefer DTS, but with the newer movies like LotR you have to have a 6.1 surround sound system or you're stuck with DD. I wanted to watch The Two Towers in DTS, but it won't work unless I buy another set of surroun speakers to run in the side positions. There is no DTS 5.1 mode available.

Jan 11, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
I personally prefer DTS, but with the newer movies like LotR you have to have a 6.1 surround sound system or you're stuck with DD. I wanted to watch The Two Towers in DTS, but it won't work unless I buy another set of surroun speakers to run in the side positions. There is no DTS 5.1 mode available.

Odd... I have a 5.1 system and I can watch the LOTR with DTS just fine. I thought the spec was supposed to be backward-compatible. (Or perhaps my processor is just friendly to it, dunno...)

Jan 11, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by SunByrne
Odd... I have a 5.1 system and I can watch the LOTR with DTS just fine. I thought the spec was supposed to be backward-compatible. (Or perhaps my processor is just friendly to it, dunno...)

SunByrne,

For some reason my Denon 1803 just doesn't like DTS. I tried to watch Pirates of the Carribean tonight, and it wouldn't work in 5.1 DTS either. I have the full 5.1 setup in place, but for some reason it tried to go into NEO 6.1 and wouldn't play on anything but the center channel. I could listen in Dolby Digital only, which is quite frustrating.

I'll go thru the manual again and check to see if I'm doing something wrong, but this is quite frustrating and makes me wish I had my older Yamaha back again. At least it was a 5.1 only system and never had any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back