Dolby Atmos vs. What is really practical
Apr 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Herky151

100+ Head-Fier
So I didn't know if this would count as speakers, but I guess it is close enough. I went as saw a movie last night, Oblivion, and the speakers was the new Dolby system with 64-channel surround sound. It is safe to say that is the most expensive audio "set-up" I have listened to. I was just curious how people, who have heard the Atmos system, would rank it in comparison with a home set-up in speakers or headphones that they own. I just want to know because I feel Atmos is expensive but not as "good" as other things out there, possibly...

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 3
That's a theater, right? Personally I've never been to a public theater that I liked better than a properly set-up home system. For one, no matter how many channels and speakers they have, it's mostly because they're trying to create surround sound for about 100+ people. More speakers doesn't mean better sound, except for when you're trying to compensate for that 100+ people. Put me in a medium-sized room with a 5.1 system and dipoles on the rear surrounds and a midlevel A/V receiver and I'm bound to enjoy it better than a theater, as long as the display is sharp. My problem with theaters is they never really give me point source accuracy when needed, and then when something like a jet or helicopter shot from below or above moves from the top of the screen forward towards the bottom, even if I'm sitting near the center of the theater with the screen at or just below eye level, the engine sound goes from somewhere in front of me then rolls forward while I hear the same sound happening far behind me rolling towards me.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks! And they claim it is supposed to increase imaging, and it was better than most movie theater sound systems ive heard, but I was trying to get an outside opinion on how "good" it really is comparatively speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back