Doing a Pimeta/Alien DAC combo, RCA output/input question.
Feb 23, 2009 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jam_Master_J

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm building an Alien DAC + PIMETA combo for a buddy of mine and he had one request; one set of RCAs that can be switched between DAC output (for an external amp) and input (so a different source can feed the PIMETA). At first I was going to something with a DPDT but I just thought of this and I wanted to verify that the following setup will work:
Alien DAC output is connected to the RCA jacks and the input to the PIMETA. I install a power switch to the DAC section so it can be turned off. So when the DAC is on, the DAC plays through to the pimeta and outputs to whatever is connected to the RCAs. When the DAC is off, whatever is driving from the input goes to the PIMETA. Is there any flaw with this plan other than something weird happening if the DAC is on at the same time as something is inputting to the RCA jacks?

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 3
Post a schematic of your idea, and the impedances at each node. Getting the latter right will help balance the volume levels.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 3
Drawing1-Model.jpg

Maybe I should move the switch on the DAC output so the 330k doesn't affect things too much when an external source is used and plus the DAC won't be turning off/on confusing the computer it's connected to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back