Doin' the DAP Rant! Can you do you it?
Sep 5, 2007 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Abouna

500+ Head-Fier
Am I the only one who thinks the DAP market is getting more obnoxious?

I recently decided to pick up a new player. Problem is most of the players are either extremely bloated or headed in that direction. It's damn near impossible to get a decent player anymore that isn't a video player to boot. I'm retiring my 5gb Dell Pocket DJ and am finding it impossible to find something new.

- I don't want to play videos or look at photos, cripes
- I don't want a kagillion color screen that is totally useless in everyday settings, i.e whenever your not in a dark room. My brothers much more advanced (I guess) Zen V is great looking (indoors) but worthless outdoors, while my Dell DJ with antiquated LCD works like a charm in direct sunlight.
- I don't want bunches of extra crappy features
- I don't need it to look cool. Releasing the same player over and over again with flashy colors and slightly modded cases is worthless. Is it in your pocket, etc. most of the time or are you holding and caressing it, showing it to others. Is it a pet or a music player?
- I don't need it to fit under my fingernail. Small is good, they can quit making them smaller now, it's useless and verging on frail.

- I do want good SQ
- I do want good UI, yes Cowon, I want to be able to sort by artist, genre, etc
- I do want controls for a homo sapien, I have fingers and I like buttons. Contrary to the Dr. Morbius's over at Apple and others in the same track (and I do like some of their stuff, but buttons are good, some people are even blind [gasp] and might appreciate something other than touch controls, I'm speaking to the uber bloated iPhone here [again, I like the iPhone, especially if it weren't the kitchen sink) power, volume, skip, etc. with a tactile button is a good thing.
- I do want some decent battery time

- I'd like decent capacity, 10gb minimum
- I'd like a replaceable battery

In short I'd like my 1985 Aiwa or Sony Walkman with 21st century storage.

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sansa sounds like what you want, but it only comes in 2, 4, 6, and 8 GB.

Brendan

I second the Sansa. It has a SD slot for expandable memory if you really need more

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abouna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll look at the Sansas but unless theyve improved a bunch over the last year, the 1st gen ones were real stinkers. I had one, weak amp is an understatement. I'm also not sure that LED or OLED screen is worth much.

The one I have (2nd gen with the smooth click wheel) drives my IEMs fine...

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 35
Apple needs to come out with a "Head-Fi'' iPod. I honestly believe they could market such a device.

Ed

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 35
Its sad that so few players meet these requirements. There is no perfect DAP in mind right now. My ZVM is good except it doesnt play Flac or ogg's, doesnt have a replaceable battery, and it has some touch (although the touch strip is pretty good). Sadly there is no perfect player in this world.

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 35
Regarding the new Ipod lineup and with all the reviews/blogs out already it's astonishing to me that there is no mention about the SQ? No mention of adjustable EQ? Or a different amp power? Oh...but longer battery life...that means it's probably a weaker amp. *&^%$*(

This is hard to fathom for me? It's for listening to music!!!!

Could you imagine a new TV/plasma review with nothing but jibberish about it having cute fancy buttons, etc. but no clue about how the picture looks?

It pisses me off that the portability of music has completely taken away any desire for good SQ. There is not even a desire to market good SQ because they will sell it anyway to all the chumps out there...95% which will use $5 earbuds.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by biged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple needs to come out with a "Head-Fi'' iPod. I honestly believe they could market such a device.

Ed

Called the imod, just not direct from apple.
icon10.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 35
FWIW, the 12 GB TrekStor vibez seems to match up with every single one of your listed likes and dislikes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, the 12 GB TrekStor vibez seems to match up with every single one of your listed likes and dislikes.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's been a while since I studied the TrekStor, but what comes to mind is:

- TFT screen, adios daylight
- no replaceable batts (I think)

And, though I didn't include it in the original breakdown: too dang expensive. These things should be topping out at $100 bucks, especially when you can get a no frills laptop for $399!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back