D'oh! (I think)
Dec 25, 2004 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

The_Dude

New Head-Fier
I have some a900's that I got(or getting rather, since they have not yet arrived) for christmas. The source I am using is a toshiba 4960.

It just occured to me, I will have no way of controling the volume. The remote of the player has "tv volume" but no volume for the actual player. The only quick/easy/cheap solution I can think of to overcome this is to purchase a CMOY or something along those lines.

Am I correct in this assumption that an additional purchase will be neccesary, or is there something so painfully obvious I just haven't seen it yet? Thanks!

Dec 25, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 8
I am not familiar with the 4960. I can't se that there is a heaphone-out on this player from what I found on google.

If there is not a headphone-out, you wold need some sort of amp. On the other hand, if there is a phones/jack out, chances are the built in volume controller will work. With the cheap DVD players I have used, the volume always resets to max if I turn the player off, that could be worth remebering
smily_headphones1.gif

The cmoy will work for this purpose.

Knut

Dec 25, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 8
There is no headphone-out on the player, so it looks like i'm in the market for a CMOY. I just had to be sure I wasnt missing something obvious, thanks for your help!

Dec 25, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Dude

you don't need to just settle on a Cmoy. What kind of money are you looking to spend? There are a number of people on this site and also around the web who build amps from the highly portable to the high level "home" amplifiers for headphones. Some of those include:

http://www.jmtaudio.com
http://www.shellbrooklab.com
http://www.headsave.com

each of these sites features a range of amps, one of which should fit the bill. HeadSave's Norm features the least "expensive" amps in their Go-Vibes, but Norm's reputation and excellent quality speak for themselves. I have purchased a Signature Pimeta from Drew at Shellbrook along with cables for my home set up. Drew's been extremely helpful in answering any questions I might have about amps, headphones, etc. JMT is another member of Head-Fi who's reputation is fantastic. He also has several portable Pimeta's in his "demo" section on his site.

If you look up top on each page you'll also see a listing of Head-Fi Supporters who carry everything from headphones, amps, cables and anything else you want associated with headphones or audio. These supporters are dedicated to helping other Head-Fi addicts like you and I attain our own "Musical Bliss".

Good luck on your search!

Dec 25, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 8
the quick and dirty easy solution to get up and running for now is the Radio shack inline volume control that goes between the source and the headphone .The Airhead sounds like a great bargain and you can use the volume control and wait for the amp to arrive

Dec 25, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 8
Oh man, here I thought I would get away with just looking into a CMOY
biggrin.gif

All I need is the CMOY, but the other amps, so tempting...
I feel like a mosquito drifting towards a bug zapper. I know I shouldnt get one those amps but they look(and one can assume, sound) so much better than a CMOY.

When you guys say sorry about your wallet, you’re not kidding!

Dec 25, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 8
the A900 are very efficient headphones, so they should do just fine with a CMOY. look into Norm's Go-Vibe, its a really good amp for a not so high price. and you can also upgrade the op-amps later when you have more demanding headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back