DOH!!! (blew my headphones)
Mar 8, 2003 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

brent_mr2

100+ Head-Fier
I think I blew my headphones. I should have known better than to listen to bass CDs with them (from my receiver). Now, even with my 5mW PCDP, if the bass gets over a certain frequency, there's distortion.

Oh well, at least these are inexpensive headphones.

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 7
Looks like it time to start the obsession. It always starts with only 1 set, the next thing you know, the credit card company's calling and wondering what's going on.

Mar 8, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 7
Well, I'd like to get something better, but portability is my biggest concern. I haven't seen a more portable set of cans on the market. I am however planning to get an iRiver 400 though, so at least I'll have a good source.

I'd listen to better sounding headphones, but then I wouldn't be able to enjoy the V6's anymore (I'd be spoiled).

Mar 8, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 7
Wow... You must listen damned loud, else they were seriously cheap headphones??

I'm unnoficially volume king around these parts (
wink.gif
) and I can safely say that i've never blown a single pair of 'phones...

eek.gif

Mar 8, 2003 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 7
I just tried them with my receiver again and they sound great there. Maybe it's something with my PCDP, I don't know. But anyway, these headphones will handle up to a watt of power so you're right Duncan, they're not blown.

The only thing I can think of is the Megabass system of my Sony PCDP. I played the same CD in my PCDP with megabass on level 2 and with my receiver with the bass cranked all the way up and bass boost enabled. The tracks I played had plenty of bass. Sure enough, there was kind of a crackling sound with the PCDP and the receiver was perfectly clean.

Then I tried my other PCDP player with megabass on level 2 and it sounded fine. So maybe the megabass system is fried on PCDP 1???

Just label me a headphone neophyte.

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by brent_mr2
Bass, bass and more bass.

You may want to look into Beyer DT-770's and an amp, if you're willing to spend that much.

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by brent_mr2
I just tried them with my receiver again and they sound great there. Maybe it's something with my PCDP, I don't know. But anyway, these headphones will handle up to a watt of power so you're right Duncan, they're not blown.

The only thing I can think of is the Megabass system of my Sony PCDP. I played the same CD in my PCDP with megabass on level 2 and with my receiver with the bass cranked all the way up and bass boost enabled. The tracks I played had plenty of bass. Sure enough, there was kind of a crackling sound with the PCDP and the receiver was perfectly clean.

Then I tried my other PCDP player with megabass on level 2 and it sounded fine. So maybe the megabass system is fried on PCDP 1???

Just label me a headphone neophyte.

No, said PCDP simply hasn't got enough power to drive the bass on your phones. Switch off megabass or reduce volume. You should notice bass coming back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back