Doge 7 tube DAC

Which would you go for

• Total voters
Dec 21, 2020 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Jomsjoms

New Head-Fier
Anyone here using or have heard the Doge 7 tube DAC? I'm very interested in it after watching the review of Jay (The next best thing studio).

I was set on getting the Denafrips Venus II but after viewing his review, i am now on the fence whether i should get the Doge 7 or the Venus II. Jay gave the Doge 7 "the best DAC award last month along with the Pontus" and yesterday on their yearly awards, he gave the "Best price no object - component award of the year" to Doge 7 tube DAC and take note, among its competitors were the Denafrips Pontus and Terminator+.

I'm really intrigued if i should get the Doge 7 due to this.

My system:
B&W 805D3
Primaluna EVO400 tube preamp (soon)
Primaluna EVO400 tube poweramp - 2x 70w (soon)
streamer - either lumin u1 mini or OpticalRendu (soon)
small bedroom setup (18 sqm/193 sqft)
music i listen to = jazz/classical/soft relaxing music. I don't listen to rock, electronic, loud, disco music.

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 21
I did order it and managed to cancel my order after the lead time exploded and I wasn't able to plan ahead because of new lockdowns. So I'm intrigued as well. When looking at your system, I don't know if a tube DAC would be beneficial. I did experiment a lot with tube pre's, tube power amps, solid state pre's, ss power amps (class A and D) and every combination. My result (for my personal preference) was that there is something like too much tube magic in your system. Just something to consider. Either way I would at least try a transparent DAC as well.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 21
I did order it and managed to cancel my order after the lead time exploded and I wasn't able to plan ahead because of new lockdowns. So I'm intrigued as well. When looking at your system, I don't know if a tube DAC would be beneficial. I did experiment a lot with tube pre's, tube power amps, solid state pre's, ss power amps (class A and D) and every combination. My result (for my personal preference) was that there is something like too much tube magic in your system. Just something to consider. Either way I would at least try a transparent DAC as well.

Thanks for this. So maybe it might be better for me to go with the Denafrips venus II?

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 21
Maybe but not necessarily. I just wanted to point out that you could actually enjoy less coloration a bit more with that setup. I'd try something first thats available. As I canceled my order Doge told me that their lead time is now unit February. So check for that before ordering. On the other hand I don't think you'll go wrong with the Venus

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 21
Didn't Jay say in his review, that the Doge 7 is tilted up in the treble? Might be a little much in combination with B&W speakers?

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 21
It's in a bedroom, so lots and lots of dampening for the treble too. I think you'll get away with it.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 21
Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 21
I did own the MP-D1. Thats why I said that there is a thing like too much tube in a system

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 21
while the Doge 7 seems exceptional i would advise against it and choose the solidly build Denafrips. I love tubes, I have many tube-amps, phono's and dacs but you need to know where to apply them. Now the Doge seems exceptional in that it is very quiet and neutral, so the tubes are well implemented. But they wear. And you don't notice that because the process is slow and gradual. And... it's still a DS dac. I prefer R2R from a technical and sonic point of view (for PCM).

The Venus will give you a more natural (smooth, 'analog like') sound. R2R is just better in timing (no pre-echo on transient). DS just gives that artificial sheen that sounds like 'more detail' where an R2R just presents it like it is which is closer to real life (live) sound. No performers sprinkled in fairydust performing in a spotlight but real people singing as if in your livingroom (or bedroom).

Jan 2, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 21
Nope. Never asked since I went to another route/DAC. You could ask Gary in their contact form at their website.

Jan 3, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 21
I own one of these and enjoy it quite a bit. Very spacious and detailed. It’s fun to play with tubes and see the difference they can make.

While many manufacturers have backlogs due to everyone upgrading their systems during forced at-home times, Doge seem to be extra swamped. They seem to be an artisan operation that struggle to handle the internet review driven runs on their order books

Jan 3, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 21
The manual says impedance is 600 Ohm.

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 21
Just got my Doge 7. This is my 3rd tube DAC. If you want to do it right just get a Holo Audio May lvl2 if tubes worry you. I didn't keep the May as Woo didn't like the voltage was hotter then they designed the amp for. But it was the most amazing DAC. This Doge 7, Wells Audio Cipher and Denafrips Pontus 2. Nothing has beaten the Cipher it doesn't have any issues. I'm hoping the Doge does the same for less.

What pissed me off is I got use not looking at tax and import section. I've never paid out of pocket money to dhl. I bought from Holo twice and never paid more then website said. Doge blamed it on Trump. If that's the case Holo would have been the same. So I paid altogether 2,800.

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 21
What pissed me off is I got use not looking at tax and import section. I've never paid out of pocket money to dhl. I bought from Holo twice and never paid more then website said. Doge blamed it on Trump. If that's the case Holo would have been the same. So I paid altogether 2,800.
Congratulations on your new DAC.

From the people that bought this DAC when the first glowing review came in, it varied if they had to pay customs fees when coming into various parts of the US and Canada. I didn’t have to pay anything. Possibly it is luck since someone must manually process the thousands of parcels coming through each import facility every day.

Since then, I’ve imported a used DAC from Europe and was forced to pay a customs fee coming into the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back