Doge 6210 - another great headphone amp
Apr 20, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #241 of 416
My Doge 6210 reached the head-fier who I contacted to look at and repair the amp. Here is his response ....

Good news, Earl, I received the Doge 6210 and am glad to say that it works now. I found a broken wire going into the transformer. All four tube sockets were loose and I tightened them, but they are still somewhat loose and should be replaced with teflon sockets. The capacitors, resistors, and wiring is of lower quality than the ones used in my own Doge, and the impedance switch and volume control are of different lengths. It must have been the previous revision of the amp. Build quality seems to be lower than my own Doge, but that's OK because these issues can easily be resolved.

I'll be making a list of parts for the mods. Your particular Doge has very thin wiring and some burnt resistors. So I will have to decide what parts should be replaced.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #242 of 416
Well, if DrWells was trying to convince you that the Doge was a great amp, he probably didn't do himself any favors in sending you a crappy one, did he? Weird.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #243 of 416
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Doge 6210 reached the head-fier who I contacted to look at and repair the amp. Here is his response ....

Good news, Earl, I received the Doge 6210 and am glad to say that it works now. I found a broken wire going into the transformer. All four tube sockets were loose and I tightened them, but they are still somewhat loose and should be replaced with teflon sockets. The capacitors, resistors, and wiring is of lower quality than the ones used in my own Doge, and the impedance switch and volume control are of different lengths. It must have been the previous revision of the amp. Build quality seems to be lower than my own Doge, but that's OK because these issues can easily be resolved.

I'll be making a list of parts for the mods. Your particular Doge has very thin wiring and some burnt resistors. So I will have to decide what parts should be replaced.

What is your friend's impression on his Doge 6210?

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #244 of 416
Quote:

Originally Posted by pftrvlr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your friend's impression on his Doge 6210?

He loves the amp. He is one of the reasons I wanted to try the 6210, plus I have always liked EL84's. This head-fier with the amp is well known to all of you. I have not stated who he is because I want to be sure he doesnt mind. I could understand him not wanting to be in the middle. He definitely knows this amp well and I am now going to have him trick the amp out since I now know the amp is repairable.

I will probably pay as much $$$ as I already have in the amp to trick the 6210 out. I dont really mind though. I am just glad I wont have a 15 lb paperweight. I have wanted a high power transformer coupled tube amp to see what my 701's are capable of .... and that is what I will eventually get.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #245 of 416
Perhaps it was a case of supply and demand gone wrong.At first the Chinese probably produced a fine amp in that of the Doge.As demand increased it seems shotty workmanship took over because they couldn't keep cranking them out with the same attention to detail.I mean your talking about cheap labor here.Just a theory.

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #246 of 416
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if DrWells was trying to convince you that the Doge was a great amp, he probably didn't do himself any favors in sending you a crappy one, did he? Weird.

I sent him two good amps - his sound quality complaints were the same with both amps.

The first was new in a sealed box. He returned it. It had perfect sound quality upon its return, and still does.

The second one was used by myself and was still like new - I know it to have good sound quality from my use.

I offered to take the second one back also, just like I did the first, and then send the first to a volunteer Doge owner to test and be sure it performed as well as their own amp, then forward this tested amp on to SACD lover (with me paying both shipping charges).

I sent SACD lover two good sounding amps.

If SACD lover likes he can return the second amp to China for repair under warranty. It will be repaired free. However, if there is nothing wrong with the amp, or evidence of sabotage or other user damage is found, he will be charged for repair and shipping costs both ways.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #247 of 416
I've been following this thread with some interest in seeing where it would end up. I sat on the fence but now I must say, especially after a third party has opened up sacd's amp and found problems with it, that I'm with sacd on this one. Also, I'm rather taken aback by some of the heavy-handed posts by drarthurwells (intimating sabotage is waaaaay out of line). As an MOT, you are not representing yourself too well here. I really don't care that you tried out the amp before you sent it to sacd and it was fine. What is important is the dissatisfaction of your customer. And even after that dissatisfaction has been verified to be warranted, you still continue. Not a very sound business practice in my book. sacd has already decided to keep the amp and not only get it fixed but have it modded. Time to just swallow some humble pie and move on.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #248 of 416
I am not taking sides in this as I am not involved. I just want to say that I'm glad that sacd lover is going to be able to hear the Doge as it should be. It really is a great amp and I hope he enjoys it as much as the rest of us. I would also be interested in his evaluation of the amp after all the mods.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #249 of 416
I've been looking at this amp for awhile now.
Is current production Quality Control an issue with these amps?
Has anyone else had problems?

Thanks,
JD
icon10.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #250 of 416
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He loves the amp. He is one of the reasons I wanted to try the 6210, plus I have always liked EL84's. This head-fier with the amp is well known to all of you. I have not stated who he is because I want to be sure he doesnt mind. I could understand him not wanting to be in the middle. He definitely knows this amp well and I am now going to have him trick the amp out since I now know the amp is repairable.

I will probably pay as much $$$ as I already have in the amp to trick the 6210 out. I dont really mind though. I am just glad I wont have a 15 lb paperweight. I have wanted a high power transformer coupled tube amp to see what my 701's are capable of .... and that is what I will eventually get.
biggrin.gif

For Arthur to imply you would sabotage the Doge seems ridiculous to me. You PAID for the amp. It isn't like this was a free trial thing where we were awaiting your Singlepower/Doge comparisons or something?!?

Seems like a lowbrow attack to me. No more, no less.

Since there was obviously a problem with the amp when you received it, I would be more interested now to get your opinions on it as it will be working as intended now.

Apr 21, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #251 of 416
Quote:

Originally Posted by John D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking at this amp for awhile now.
Is current production Quality Control an issue with these amps?
Has anyone else had problems?

Thanks,
JD
icon10.gif

No QC problems with mine. I got mine from the official US distributor, Pacific Valve. I've talked to various Doge owners, and all three of the Doge amps seemed to have been built from different parts. I would definately go with Pacific Valve. It's almost a different amp from the Cattylink one. Almost all the internal parts are different, and better quality. I can see why the Pacific Valve version costs more, and it's worth it.

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #252 of 416
With all the wonderful amps out there, why, oh why, would anyone want to try the Doge now?

I mean that as a serious question. There are so many amps, and so little time or money. I see no upside to taking the risk.

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #253 of 416
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With all the wonderful amps out there, why, oh why, would anyone want to try the Doge now?

I mean that as a serious question. There are so many amps, and so little time or money. I see no upside to taking the risk.

To me, the risk of trying Doge is well worth.
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #254 of 416
SACDlover: My Doge 6210 reached the head-fier who I contacted to look at and repair the amp. Here is his response ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by newguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Arthur to imply you would sabotage the Doge seems ridiculous to me. You PAID for the amp. It isn't like this was a free trial thing where we were awaiting your Singlepower/Doge comparisons or something?!?

Seems like a lowbrow attack to me. No more, no less.

Since there was obviously a problem with the amp when you received it, I would be more interested now to get your opinions on it as it will be working as intended now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been following this thread with some interest in seeing where it would end up. I sat on the fence but now I must say, especially after a third party has opened up sacd's amp and found problems with it, that I'm with sacd on this one. Also, I'm rather taken aback by some of the heavy-handed posts by drarthurwells (intimating sabotage is waaaaay out of line). As an MOT, you are not representing yourself too well here. I really don't care that you tried out the amp before you sent it to sacd and it was fine. What is important is the dissatisfaction of your customer. And even after that dissatisfaction has been verified to be warranted, you still continue. Not a very sound business practice in my book. sacd has already decided to keep the amp and not only get it fixed but have it modded. Time to just swallow some humble pie and move on.

Did you two read my posts?

[size=small]I sent him two good amps - his sound quality complaints were the same with both amps. The first was new in a sealed box. He returned it. It had perfect sound quality upon its return, and still does. The second one was used by myself and was still like new - I know it to have good sound quality from my use.

Now, SACDlover gave a reply from an unknown source that is very, very suspicious. This unknown source says the amp is working now but does not say if it was working when received, or working after repair, and if repaired what repair?

The problems noted: "broken transformer wire" and "burnt out" resistors would render the amp inoperable I would think. The lose tube sockets could be a problem with the tube pins - some tubes fit tight and some fit loose, with the thin pins of tubes used in the amp. Pinching the tube pins inwards slightly to achieve a tight fit is often necessary, and I suggested this to SACDlover early on.

When I sent the amp to SACDlover it worked fine and had undistorted and powerful sound, just like all Doge 6210 amps I have used. If it got a broken transformer wire and burnt out resistors then this happened after the amp left me, and I don't see how it worked at all.

Anyone who thinks I am lying, and many do apparently in spite of my truthfulness always, should ask themselves why SACD lover did not take me up on my offer before, when:

I offered to take the second one back also, just like I did the first, and then send the first to a volunteer Doge owner to test and be sure it performed as well as their own amp, then forward this tested amp on to SACD lover (with me paying both shipping charges). If SACD lover likes he can return the second amp to China for repair under warranty. It will be repaired free. However, if there is nothing wrong with the amp, or evidence of sabotage or other user damage is found, he will be charged for repair and shipping costs both ways.

The fact that SACD lover did not take me up on my offers above suggests deceit on his part to me. I earlier challenged him to show who was telling the truth, me or him, by follwing my remedy offer, and he refused.[/size]

Apr 22, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #255 of 416
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Because I don't believe you should trust SACD lover - a long time touter of Singlepower amps.

There have been reports on this site of problems with Singlepowers, and these reports seem truthful.

Many love the Singlepower, and, for you, I would recommend that you buy a Singlepower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back