Dog Names
Jun 21, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
And when you call the dog you shout "Hey Jude!"

I named my dog Muttley and everyone laughed when they asked "what's his name" and I said "Muttley"

apricot1.jpg

This guy looks more of a Humphrey or a Rumpole why do you wan't a Spanish or Swedish name? He doesn't look like a Jose or a Sven, I personally would call him Floyd
wink.gif

how about weird al?

autograph2.jpg

see the resemblance ?? ; )

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
apricot1.jpg

Pretty obvious: Mördare

http://lexikon.nada.kth.se/cgi-bin/swe-eng

Amicalement

Mordare? that sounds like something you'd find in a French mortuary........... I never could dig the Euro thing...... what About a good old English name like "Rex" or "Bruno"
evil_smiley.gif

"Heel Mordare"....... "come to papa Mordare"............ "Sit mordare"
blink.gif

Sit Rex.......... Play dead Rex............ lay down Rex.......... come to papa Rex........... Now you're talking!

This guy needs to know he's a dog and a name like "Mordare" will confuse him. A name like "Mordare is So Typically "Euro" (and so naff)

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #35 of 69
My wife and I are getting a pair of Alaskan Malamutes (brother & sister), I want to call them Boris & Natasha, but the wife thinks thats dumb. Of course she has no suggestions what-so-ever!
rolleyes.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
Well my wife and I are going to be picking up our new puppy at the end of July. We will be driving down to Florida from Michigan with her parents, who are getting one from the same litter. The problem is we can't think of anything to name him. He is an apricot Standard Poodle. Here is what he looks like (from the same family, but not him)

apricot1.jpg

We would like a Swedish or Spanish name. Something simple and short. Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks
-John

Cute Dog.
biggrin.gif

With a face like that he looks like a Benny (Ben), BeeGee or Beejee to me.
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #40 of 69
Thanks again for all of the replies. The reason we are looking for Swedish or Spanish names is because we are of Swedish descent, and she teaches Spanish at Sprin Lake High School.

So far I do not see anyhthing that I feel will be able to supplant her love for the name Stanford, which I know is neither Swedish, nor Spanish.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again
-John
cool.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #41 of 69
"Richard" might supplant "Stanford." Sure, you could go with a "dog name," but calling it by a human name would indicate the high standards you have for the dog. It would feel compelled to be excellent, because it has a name usually reserved for a person. There is also a multitude of shorter names that you can call the dog. I would call that dog "Richard."

Lyndon Johnson had a dog he named "Edgar," after then-FBI director J. Edgar Hoover. There is a precedent for naming dogs after people. Of course, this would work better if you had a "Richard" in the woodwork to make the name significant.

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
Thanks again for all of the replies. The reason we are looking for Swedish or Spanish names is because we are of Swedish descent, and she teaches Spanish at Sprin Lake High School.

So far I do not see anyhthing that I feel will be able to supplant her love for the name Stanford, which I know is neither Swedish, nor Spanish.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again
-John
cool.gif

C'mon... Stanford? Your dog is going to be made fun of by all the other dogs! It's going to be forced to associate with the Biff's and Mitzy's of the dog world. You don't want to give your dog a complex... he's already bound to be a little sensitive about the red 'fro.

I'm thinking with the red hair and all, you should go with "Lucifer". You can call him "Luke" for short. Although I must disagree with some of the info here though relating to mono-syllabic names being better for training a dog. As someone who has trained a lot of dogs, you could name your dog Prometheus or Dog and that alone would have nothing to do with your dog's ability to recognize his name. Just speak in firm tones when giving direction. NO BABY TALK! It's fine when playing, but not when you're instructing.

If you're still bent on Swedish or Spanish, go with Bjorn or Pablo.

-Bababooey

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
So you'll be able to explain what «Mördare» means to those who have no clue...
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

But it doesn't look like a Murdering Poodle to me!
eek.gif

How about "Goding?"-

Swedish entry word
goding [g'o:ding] godingen godingar noun
tilldragande kvinna (informal)

English translation
peach, knockout

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #45 of 69
One vote for: Fluffy!

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: You could always claim Fluffy was short for El Cid.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back