Dog Killed my Sennheiser PC360s - What to upgrade to?
Aug 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #16 of 19
Alrighty, so just got the HD650s in and I just thought.  This is my first pace of true reference grade headphones.  Do I need to break them in in some specific way before I start listening to them or can I just listen to them at not a max volume for awhile before fully turning up the volume.  As stated before I am powering them with the Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #17 of 19
  Alrighty, so just got the HD650s in and I just thought.  This is my first pace of true reference grade headphones.  Do I need to break them in in some specific way before I start listening to them or can I just listen to them at not a max volume for awhile before fully turning up the volume.  As stated before I am powering them with the Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Some people believe that headphones improve with use, some don't.
Leave the HD650s plugged in over night (several nights), maybe with the volume a little higher then normal, maybe put the headphone under a blanket, anything to cover the sound.
For breaking in headphones,I usually leave the headphone plugged into my A/V receiver, playing Metal, with the volume higher then normal.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #18 of 19
So I have had pink noise running through the HD650s for just a single evening, wake up this morning and wow do they sound phenomenal.  Classical and solo pianist songs sound just stellar.  Trying out some original movie sound tracks from Lord of the Rings/Hobbit right now, and the precision is just tremendous.  Also I am not much into opera, but I figured I would listen to it a bit.  The clarity of the singers voices is just amazing.  Being my first "audiophile" grade headphone, outside of the PC360 or Astro A50 (not really audiophile grade), I am truly impressed.

On side note, before I got them in I came across a handful of reviews stating the one complaint about the headphones was their clamping force, of course I didn't see these reviews before purchasing.  On the upside they feel great, a little bit tight, but defintiely nothing close to the MMX 300s.  Anyhow, I decided to order the AKG K712 Pro as well yesterday so I can compare the 2.  So should be getting them in today.

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #19 of 19
Oh on another note as to the performance on the AXSTX.  I know I am by no means an audiophile expert.  But as far as the soundcards ability to drive these.  Absolutely no problem.  At the 64-300 ohm setting, I have sounds playing at 75% within the the Xonar Audio Center, and about 35-40% within the application and at that volume level, it is bordering uncomfortable, not quite, but just right there at the edge.  Now as far as how the music actually sounds in comparison to another amp/dac, I cannot comment.  Assuming I really enjoy either the HD650s or the AKG K712 Pro, I will be looking into investing into a Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back