Does your sound card matter if you're using the optical out to an external DAC?
Nov 18, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #16 of 19
Its nice to know I'm not alone on this site.

Quote:
I would also tend to agree with that information.  Many suggest they notice a difference between say, a cheap soundcard S/pdif out and an output of a S/pdif source such as a HiFace or Teralink X2.
On a side note, it seems 'transport' means different things to different people.  Some suggest it is just the control mechanism for a digital player and others consider devices such as the HiFace to be transports also.  I would also agree that the quality of the transport is a factor in the overall quality of the system.  All parts of the signal chain can have an effect on the output quality IMO...

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 19
I'm using a Gamma2. At the moment I'm running optical from my on-board sound to the Gamma2, but before that I ran optical from an Emu 1212m (until it mysteriously died). There is NO doubt that my setup sounded better with the Emu running things. I won't pretend to know why or get into technical details, but there is absolutely, without a doubt a difference in the sound quality. I've only used one cable with both, by the way.

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #18 of 19

Quote:
I'm using a Gamma2. At the moment I'm running optical from my on-board sound to the Gamma2, but before that I ran optical from an Emu 1212m (until it mysteriously died). There is NO doubt that my setup sounded better with the Emu running things. I won't pretend to know why or get into technical details, but there is absolutely, without a doubt a difference in the sound quality. I've only used one cable with both, by the way.

One of my first experiences with optical into a good DAC involved the EMU 1212m. I was impressed with the sound quality and hindsight leads me to believe the quality of the clocks produced lower jitter than other devices (motherboard audio included). I did not keep the EMU because I didn't like the DACs that much and the driver software was inconvenient.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #19 of 19
There is a difference to be heard.  Many are of the opinion that digital is digital is digital....sure as far as data goes.  However, people forget about the timing aspects of digital, this is where you can have differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back