Does your gear sound better on some day's??
Jul 19, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #46 of 55
My system always sounds the same if I control all the variables that affect the sound. I need to warm-up my system for 2+ weeks until the sound stabilizes.

I'm using the same burn-in volume when I'm not listening to music. I change from 0 to -14dB in Foobar when I remove the headphones from my head. I have tried -13 and -15 and they both had opposite sound signatures compared to -14. -15 sounded too cold and edgy with lack of low-level detail, and -13 sounded too warm but with more low-level detail.

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #47 of 55
Totally agree with almost everybody.

Jul 19, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #48 of 55
I'd like to think my brain is more complicate than clock work. I never expect it to work consistently really
etysmile.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #49 of 55
Optimal sound:
Spring/Fall (no air or heat running)
Alone in the house
Evening or early morning
Low light or dark
No other obligations or distractions

Boy, am I looking forward to the day when all of this comes together!!!

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #50 of 55
Today my speaker setup sounded slightly veiled. I hope it goes away tomorrow.

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #51 of 55
I hear that, too few for sure

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbrad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Optimal sound:
Alone in the house
Evening or early morning
Low light or dark

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #52 of 55
Agree with Quint: There's definitely a very real psychological component to all this, which is usually a sign of my having become jaded perhaps by over exposure. Solved by listening to the speakers for a day, or simply by switching phones usually...

But no, it never sounds "Bad", I'm still constantly amazed actually, and its a mood elevator in fact, as music always has served me
wink.gif

I do live in a rural area though, so clean AC has never been an issue here...

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #53 of 55
Right now, I'm hearing stuff I never heard before listening to my HD25-1 hooked up to my computer.

It's odd, because my ears are quite tired. I work in at appliance store selling audio-video stuff, and I've been around loud music all day. :|

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #54 of 55
When I am in a bad mood, no headphone sounds good to me, not even my Shure SE530s, but the same applies when I expect too much from the sound. Usually my gear sounds good to me when I am in a good mood and just decide to listen to some music without actually expecting it to sound in any specific way. Also I do find that I hear better in the evening and at night than I do in the morning/afternoon. There's another thing though, I find that if I dislike the sound for some reason, but I know that the headphones should actually sound great, like when I am listening to my Shure SE530s, I try to convince myself that it sounds good and after a while, say two or three hours, it does start to sound great to the point when I actually say "Wow." I think it's all mostly psychological.

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #55 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbrad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Optimal sound:
Alone in the house
Evening or early morning
Low light or dark

Yeah, well, I think that my music actually sounds best in the fall and winter, and worst in the summer (
blink.gif
) probably because of various distractions that different temperatures and other weather conditions are causing. Also, I have a very hard time enjoying music with my IEMs on a warm/hot and sunny summer day, than I do on a cool/cold winter day, probably because:

1. I generally walk faster in the summer, and make more/faster movements so there are more annoying microphonic effects

2. Listening to music, while sweating on a hot summer day with sun burning you skin and blinding your eyes, is quite unpleasant, especially when you also have your ears blocked and can hear your constant heavy breathing and groaning...

3. I generally feel more energetic on a cool/clod winter day than on a hot summer day and so my music also seems to sound livelier.

etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back