Does your favorite artist use this?
Nov 23, 2002 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bubbaj

100+ Head-Fier
I heard this on NPR the other morning. IVL Technologies is marketing a Karaoke machine with pitch correction. So someone that sings like me might sound halfway decent. That's really nice but what I was surprised to learn was that professional recording artists have been using this technology for years!

I think that's appalling. If you can't sing, you shouldn't be doing it for a living. I wish I had a copy of their client list. I'd be willing to bet Britany Spears is on it.

Link to NPR program

Nov 23, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 11
I'd be willing to bet that Yoko Ono is NOT on it.
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by zoboomofo
I'd be willing to bet that Yoko Ono is NOT on it.
biggrin.gif

No, she has the early buggy version, but refusues to upgrade it.

Nov 24, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by bubbaj

I think that's appalling. If you can't sing, you shouldn't be doing it for a living. I wish I had a copy of their client list. I'd be willing to bet Britany Spears is on it.

Well, that's the thing. Most pop stars can't sing, and they are produced by the marketing agents that get them to how popular they are. A lot of the mass-produced, commercially popular musicians out there probably have a lot less musical talent than some street performers, but they have the marketing team and the savvy to get them where they are.

Nov 24, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 11
All the pop stars are just good-looking. it has nothing to do with vocal quality. It's all about sex appeal. I mean, what exactly is "Hit me baby one more time" supposed to mean anyways? And that as she dances about in a little school girl outfit... All this while under the age of 18.

A really great example is this country singer, I forget her name, she used to be country but isnt now or something like that. Yeah, they interviewed her and shes talking about how she's "taking her career in a new direction" and "really confused as an ARTIST". Then we find out that she selects her songs from 10's of thousands of crappy songs that people write for "artists" like her who A) dont know how to sing and B) dont even know how to write music. Of course they get paid millions and even I would dance like a monkey infront of crowds of people for millions.

Of course the point is, no, most pop idols do not sing well, they do not even know the last thing about music. In fact, thats why 'pop' generally sucks (not all of it does... I GUESS), because its manufactured, and manufactured music has no soul. Its like the difference between refined sugar and sugar from fruit. The refined kind will make your blood sugar go wacky if you eat it to much and eventually some people get diabetes. Metaphortytwoicaly speaking pop music is the same, it will eventually kill... your... SOUL!!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
But is it even music then?

Rereading my last post, I think I came out a little too anti-pop...

I am a firm believer that pop music has a definite place in this world, and in my world of musical appreciation. There is something about pop music that unites almost everyone in a certain way... even if some people are bashing on the music and some people adore it -- it gives a sort of commonality between everyone. For example, if you go out for a night and say... are going to go karaokeing drunkenly... the fun songs to sing are of the pop fare, that everyone ones, everyone can appreciate, and everyone can have fun botching up. If someone gets in there and tries to get all serious and sing something super obscure or technical... no one will appreciate that. There are times in my life when I just need something mindless, or something catchy, or something that I know everyone else likes too. Hey, headphones on these boards are often a subjective opinion, and the sway that 50 posts claiming that one headphone or component is 'da bomb' I'm sure has made many people feel similarly (though this shouldn't happen, it does).

I used to diss pop music vehemently. But I have reformed my ways... and now I consider it to be a valid form of musicality. Hey, the Jackson 5's ABC was once considered pop... and it still has a very special place in my musical spectrum.

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 11
i hear this is why axl rose has gotten good tour reviews from the international shows he played early this year (japan and england, i think) but why his display at the mtv video awards was one of the most pathetic things i have ever seen on tv. considering the things that mtv plays, you know it was pretty bad.

p.s. wish i had an auto tuner that night in that bar in cancun when i tried to sing "rocky raccoon".. don't ask.
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by bubbaj
Grinch,
That's an exceptionally harsh signature you've got.
She must really like you a lot!
biggrin.gif

yeah, she says she still loves me the other half of the time. twisted eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back