Does Xonar not play without a headphone?
Jun 26, 2015 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hankypanky2

100+ Head-Fier
I want to listen to my laptop speakers but when Xonar is in, I don't hear anything unless I plug in to the Xonar

I set the Digital Output as Xonar X3 and made it the default device, and then I tried seeing if sound played with Speakers as the default communication device on and then another time with it disabled.. Still no sound on laptop speakers. I'm on a HP laptop with Beats installed.

Please help me out with this.

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Are you talking about the Asus Xonar U3? It will not redirect the sound that they process back into your computer to be played over your laptop speakers.

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 7
  Can I not play the music from the U3 playing on my Bose, which then the Bose can be heard on my laptop speakers?

You'll have to state this clearer...as it is if I state the only guesses I have at what you're trying to do here no matter how matter of factly it is stated chances are it's the kind that gets taken as "trolling" on forums like this, all because we can't understand what's going on.

I want to listen to my laptop speakers but when Xonar is in, I don't hear anything unless I plug in to the Xonar

I set the Digital Output as Xonar X3 and made it the default device, and then I tried seeing if sound played with Speakers as the default communication device on and then another time with it disabled.. Still no sound on laptop speakers. I'm on a HP laptop with Beats installed.

Please help me out with this.

It can't. When it passes through the U3 it goes through its DSP and DAC. Audio either comes out of the U3's 3.5mm jack as a digital signal direct from the DSP or an analogue signal from the DAC. There is no return path.

Besides, even if there was, there's no benefit aside from not unplugging. Laptop speakers are too tiny and using EQ to make them sound not tinny will easily take them to their limits and distort; they're too close to each other so no surround simulation software can help, whereas with headphones they at least are on your head so it's easier to project a simulated surround sound around your head; and lastly, most decent-priced laptops (ie virtually anything that isn't a netbook or a lower price tablet+laptop combo) have some kind of sound shaping software in it. Your laptop has Beats, others have Dolby Virtual Surround (that often only works through their own speakers, hence the need for devices like the U3).

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 7
  When playing my Xonar U3 through my Bose Soundlink Mini, what should my 'SPDIF' settings be? Unticked/Ticked PCM

Thanks

SPDIF means "Sony-Philips Digital Interface Format. That means a Digital Output; the settings only indicate what format, whether regular 2channel PCM or Dolby surround. The Soundlink Mini however has no digital input, so it wouldn't matter. The only reason why you're getting any sound out of it is because the U3 will output analog audio unless it detects an SPDIF cable, or specifically, the SPDIF cable with a 3.5mm TRS adapter. Basically, those settings don't matter at all any way that you use it barring the correct SPDIF cable.

I can't remember what the interface looks like as I'm on my work laptop right now (my U3 is on my gaming desktop), but you're supposed to just select "Speakers" somewhere. I think it's the alternate to SPDIF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back